• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

If your child needs "Adulting 101", you have failed as a parent

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Who the F*** needs to balance a checkbook anymore?
1. Anyone with a checking account
2. Especially if they're young and don't have a good buffer of cash
3. Anyone who cares about catching mistakes or fraud on their account before it becomes a bigger problem

Reactions: jey

redshirt25

Overt Lurker
VIP
I balance mine weekly as well as verify AmEx purchases as noted in reason 3 above. My wife and daughter have no concept of this process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I balance mine weekly as well as verify AmEx purchases as noted in reason 3 above. My wife and daughter have no concept of this process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We put everything on the Amex and I skim the transactions every week or two. I balance the checking account to the penny on the same schedule, though it's much easier since it doesn't have many transactions in comparison. Less concerned about CC fraud/mistakes than bank fraud/mistakes.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Who the F*** needs to balance a checkbook anymore?
Shit I’m glad somebody said it! LOL

I haven’t balanced a checkbook in ages. I look only all the time to see if anything stands out, both for my bank and my CC’s, also checking my balance. Beyond that, as long as there’s money in there and no red flags, carry on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Shit I’m glad somebody said it! LOL

I haven’t balanced a checkbook in ages. I look only all the time to see if anything stands out, both for my bank and my CC’s, also checking my balance. Beyond that, as long as there’s money in there and no red flags, carry on

I'm not sure that is the point. You still know how and recognize the importance of being able to reconcile a bank account, right? You also understand why this is more important to younger adults who don't have the financial means that you do, right?

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
LOL at all the balla's up in here thinking a kid doesn't need to know how to keep track of their money. Wish I got out of school with enough fluff to not worry about there being enough funds to cover expenses. FUCK BUDGETING

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
LOL at all the balla's up in here thinking a kid doesn't need to know how to keep track of their money. Wish I got out of school with enough fluff to not worry about there being enough funds to cover expenses. F*** BUDGETING
Thinking a lot of JUOT members have kids in "Adulting 101".

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
I check my bank app every other day, if not daily. Always skimming through purchases. I’ve caught several instances of fraud. Call the bank, clear it up and move on.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'm not sure that is the point. You still know how and recognize the importance of being able to reconcile a bank account, right? You also understand why this is more important to younger adults who don't have the financial means that you do, right?
No, I actually don’t understand the point of balancing a checkbook. Never have. For real.

I Know how to, yes.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Not an issue. Especially checking balances frequently

I scan over my checking, savings and credit card transactions to make sure everything looks ok. Basically just looking for things that stand out - if the dude working the window at Burger King sneaks himself a $3 tip on my card I'll never know.

Did you guys read that article? Some of the quotes are mind boggling:

noncredit workshops sometimes called “Adulting 101.” <- so they don't even get credit, it's not a real class but some safe-space workshop bs?

educators say today’s college students grew up under intense pressure to pass college entrance exams and achieve high grade point averages — giving them little time to learn life skills <- wow, what a BS excuse. How can they say that with a straight face?

Educators hope learning those lessons will help students cope with what they say is a mental health crisis, caused by increased academic pressure and expectations. <- Are you f'ing kidding me? They are calling this a mental health crisis?

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
I seem to remember my parents riding my ass about my grades, chores, getting a job, then once I had a job, bills, car insurance, gas, etc... WHILE I BALANCED MY CHECKBOOK

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
People still balance check books?? I don’t think I’ve written a check in over 5 years...