• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

I'm more excited for The Orville than Star Trek Discovery

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's sad.

I just realized The Orville crew has Star Trek DS9's Kasidy Yates, the eventual 2nd wife of Captain Sisko and convicted Marqi sympathizer.

On the other hand Stat Trek Discovery ignores the established Star Trek Timeline and canon and their director thinks 13 episodes a season is 3 too many when every previous trek has been 20+ a season. :bewhew:

Screw you Discovery & CBS, I hope you aren't renewed. :down:

At least the new movies had the decency to claim to be a different timeline.

The Orville:

Star Trek Discovery:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So The Orville premiered Sunday Night, unfortunately against the Hurricane I'm sure the ratings weren't that great. They are repeating the premier on Fox tonight at 9PM.

I really enjoyed it. Mostly it captured that sense of wonder in really not knowing what you would see or how different they would be that you probably can't get in Star Trek at this point- or at least- I wouldn't want to get because I should already be familiar with how Trek goes, at least everything since WW3 to the end of Voyager. (Arguably even 30 years post TNG from "All Good Things..." and some idea that around the 29th century Time Travel becomes as routine as warp travel.

Still, those were merely "likely" futures are could be altered without hurting canon.

The Orville was a fresh face on an old story.

Instead of Starfleet in San Francisco near the Golden Gate Bridge it's the Planetary Union Central in New York near the Brooklyn Bridge.

THey have Holodecks but no idea on what they are called. Quantum Drive instead of Warp Drive. Etc... It is very clear what things were supposed to be. I really wish this could have been done as a Star Trek, not every ship has the best Captain and crew in the fleet, this would be the story of the 90% of Starfleet we don't get to see.

Anyway it maintained my interest, I hope it gets a chance to really shine.

It did seem to be a bit of a spoof of Star Trek. First episode was entertaining enough I suppose, but if it goes too goofy I'll quit. Things like the one alien only taking a piss once a year is supposed to be funny I guess, but came off as a bit dumb to me. I like smart humor, not goofy slapstick - The Orville is bumping right against the "this is stupid, not funny" line with me, but I'll see how it goes.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I think the humor will eventually subside. Only because Mcfarlane wanted to do a real Star Trek. He pulled strings to get a short role as a random ensign on Enterprise because he's a big Star Trek fan.

Honestly though the alien answering "that's unfortunate" to Mcfarlane's "I'm up 2 or 3 times a night" wasn't bad. The robot that believes it is far superior to organic beings hopefully will bring some deeper humor. I liked how he got cut off when talking about the fleet size of 3000 ships not being very much compared to the size of the galaxy.

I'm not sure Star Trek ever mentioned the fleet size in any particular series but is seems disturbingly small when the Enterprise is so often the only ship available or the only ship in range. Hell in Star Trek 5 we are supposed to believe Enterprise that was only half done was the best option to send to Nimbus III, no other experienced crew anywhere near Earth? What about defenses?

I think the humor will eventually subside. Only because Mcfarlane wanted to do a real Star Trek. He pulled strings to get a short role as a random ensign on Enterprise because he's a big Star Trek fan.

Honestly though the alien answering "that's unfortunate" to Mcfarlane's "I'm up 2 or 3 times a night" wasn't bad.
Yup, and there were other good bits of humor as well. I didn't mean to imply there were no funny parts, just that some of the attempts are humor missed the mark.
The robot that believes it is far superior to organic beings hopefully will bring some deeper humor. I liked how he got cut off when talking about the fleet size of 3000 ships not being very much compared to the size of the galaxy.

I'm not sure Star Trek ever mentioned the fleet size in any particular series but is seems disturbingly small when the Enterprise is so often the only ship available or the only ship in range. Hell in Star Trek 5 we are supposed to believe Enterprise that was only half done was the best option to send to Nimbus III, no other experienced crew anywhere near Earth? What about defenses?
Aren't you afraid you'll lose your Star Trek card for pointing out major logic holes in a ST movie?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Star Trek movies are full of logic holes, they get edited so poorly. The Director's Cut sometimes help.

Still to this day there is no good DVD or BluRay version of Star Trek 6. The Director's Cut was VHS only.

The Director's Cut changes the entire movie.

Even as far back as Stat Trek II, the kid Scotty brings to the bridge for some reason makes little sense. They cut the part where the kid is actually Scotty's nephew.

And 4... How an invisible ship can remain parked in a San Francisco park for days without anyone attempting to cross the field.

But there's just so many...

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
OK so as of last night there has been 3 episodes of The Orville and 2 of Star Trek Discovery and it is clear, the science is settled, The Orville is simply a better show.

Continuity Mistakes in The Orville:
None

Continuity Mistakes in Star Trek Discovery:
  • Spock nor his friends in 30 years of TOS trek never mention he had a human sister.
  • First scene with Starfleet personnel are textbook definition of breaking prime directive, saving an unknown race from a natural disaster.
  • Woman is named "Michael" for some reason.
  • Klingons never had the ships shown in show.
  • Starfleet never had the ships shown in show.
  • Klingon history rewritten.
  • How could a 30 something year old human's parents be killed by Klingons if last Klingon contact was 80+ years ago?
  • Klingon Bat'leth revised
  • Klingon death ritual revised- Klingons don't care about the body after death, it is an "empty vessel" to be discarded as such. Not put in fancy coffins and stuck to the hull of ships.
  • Klingons don't look like whatever those things were #NotMyKlingons
  • These fake Klingons have unacceptable non-Klingon like accent.
  • It takes light from stars many years (hence light years) to reach distant planets, be it Vulcan or wherever those Klingon ships happened to be. For Sarek to know a new star has been born with what seemed like minutes (even if it was hours) of it happening is illogical at best, especially as he noted they were on the edge of federation space in the same sentence.
  • The Federation has existed for well over 50 years at this point, Vulcan being a founding member, it would have been well documented how Vulcans made contact and some sort of peace with Klingons, not some secret only Sarek knows. I'd be surprised it wasn't taught at Starfleet Academy.
  • Why would a Starfleet court martial happen in the dark? Did someone forget to pay the light bill?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
October 13, 2017 - First (and second) use of the F word by a Starfleet officer.

Discovery, finding new lows for Trek.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
A different franchise where it worked well.

But in Star Trek we know from Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home, with the whales, the crew was surprised by all the cursing. Kirk explained it was common for the day and none of it were F bombs. You could only imagine if someone told Spock to "Go F*** himself" he wouldn't know what it meant and try to ponder the meaning but here was his sister maybe 30 years earlier in this scene knowing exactly what it meant.