• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

JUOT Premium Membership Guide

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
This is the same info that was in the announcement, but I am removing the announcement from the top of every forum. :fyi:

AKA - The guide to premium membership. - Last updated May 18, 2011.

Please read this post in full before asking questions...

As everyone knows the costs of running a forum are not negligible and while I thank everyone who has helped with one-time contributions from time to time I now announce the official JUOT Paid Membership program.

It is my intention that JUOT will always be free for basic browsing and posting permissions in the main off-topic and on-topic forums. However we should also recognize those who choose to help pay the bills so I have had to make some decisions on what 'extras' to grant and what privileges to end for non-paying members- without affecting the main purpose of JUOT- a place where anyone can post almost anything and have it read and discussed by everyone else here. It is also my intention to make JUOT self-sustaining, that is to bring in about as much as it costs for hosting, licensing, upgrades, and other fees associated with running the forum. In the unlikely event JUOT brings in more money then it costs to run and maintain I would save and re-invest that money into advertising JUOT and/or to provide prizes for contests for members and such. This money is not going into my pocket.

JUOT Memberships are available as monthly, yearly, and lifetime. Monthly memberships must be paid via Pay-Pal and are automatically recurring until you cancel them in PayPal.

Yearly memberships DO NOT automatically renew, you must renew them yourself before the year ends if you wish to keep your subscription. Generally yearly memberships benefit the user with approximately one 'free month' of membership compared to monthly billing.

You can find the status of your subscription, or lack there-of, by clicking on the User CP and looking near the top for a notice. You must renew your membership before it expires to prevent a lapse in benefits, there is no e-mail or PM to remind you.

The lifetime membership option is a single non-recurring charge. Members will get benefits until they die, leave, or JUOT shuts down.

You do not need a PayPal account to buy a yearly or lifetime membership. On the PayPal payment screen look for the link to pay without an account.

Base JUOT costs are in US Dollars with conversions for Canadian, Australian, British, and Euro currencies. Please use US Dollars if possible. Costs for non-US currency may change as exchange rates fluctuate- if you pay using an international currency please check back often to see if there are any changes. Foreign currencies are not available for monthly memberships because of exchange rate fluctuations.

NO REFUNDS: JUOT does not give refunds for any reason other than the unlikely event of a billing error. If you get upset/angry/banned and want to leave JUOT forever you do not get any money back. For this reason I strongly suggest to choose a monthly billing option.

Before I go into what Premium / Paid memberships entitle you to let me first say what they don't entitle you to- you do not get to break JUOT rules because you are a paid member. Members of all types- paid or not- are still subject to the rules posted, acknowledge that the rules may change, and also subject to full, partial, temporary, or even permanent bannings. If you are banned from JUOT you are entitled to NO REFUND and NO CREDIT for the time you were banned. It is your responsibility to cancel your membership if recurring. It is strongly suggested you read the rules of JUOT, check them often, and to use a monthly payment subscription so you are never 'out' more then a couple of dollars should you be banned or otherwise disciplined.

Notes:
1) Due to my current medical situation I can not accept checks for premium memberships- I'm not going to ask my family to run to the bank to make deposits. Please consider PayPal or wait until I'm fully recovered. If you'd like to pay by check for a lifetime membership please PM me for instructions.
2) If you've already donated directly through PayPal you already are subscribed to one of the following premium groups. You will be given notice before your subscription expires in your User CP to renew using an option below if you want to keep your benefits. If you were given a lifetime membership under the old guidelines you will keep it, no additional amount is needed.
3) If you prefer to make a one-time donation for any amount the PayPal address to use is paypal@juot.net - Depending on the amount you may be placed into one of the premium groups below.

Unregistered Users
The basics available to anyone not logged in or unregistered.

Can browse some forums but not the very popular off-topic.
Can not post or leave notes/messages or basically anything else.
See an extra ad in every first post of a thread.

Free Membership
The base privileges available to registered members.

Can read and post to most forums including off-topic.
Access to the gameroom, arcade, bad deeds, and stock trader application.
Can leave only positive rep.
Can not close or re-open threads.
Can not upload attachments.
PM Box can hold up to 50 PMs. Can send up to 5 PMs at once.
Can post/edit user notes about self.
Can post/edit visitor messages about self.
Can join social groups.
No ads in the first post of a thread.

Premium Membership - $2 / month or $22 yearly
Extra privileges granted to those willing to pay a nominal monthly fee.

Can read and post to The Board Room and most other forums.
Can leave postive or negative rep.
Can close and re-open their own threads.
Can delete own posts and threads.*
Can use attachments- up to: ~5000 KB total.
Can post/edit user notes about self & others.
Can post/edit visitor messages about self & others.
Advanced Quick Reply editor- PM me if you don't want this.
Can tag threads.
PM box size: 250; Can send up to 10 PMs at once.
Can use PM Tracking.
Can join social groups & create up to 2 social groups.
No Google ad under the navbar.
Access to Premium Post Icons.
Can see the banned users log.
Can use "Troll Control."*

(*) - Mods/Admins may undelete posts or threads at their discretion.

Ultra Premium Membership - $5 / month or $55 yearly
Ultra-Premium members always get at least the benefits of Premium membership but usually more of the good things and less of the not-so-good. Ultra Premium members see no in-line advertisements besides the top banner which often is a parody type ad.

Can view 'invisible' members.
Can use attachments- up to: ~25000 KB total.
PM Box Size: 500, Can send up to 20 PMs at once.
Can join social groups & create up to 5 social groups.
No Google ads at all.
Access to Ultra-Premium Post Icons.
Can use and are immune from "Troll Control."

Ultra Premium++ Membership - $10 / month or $110 yearly
An "Ultra Premium ++" member gets exactly the same privileges of an Ultra-Premium member but is willing and able to show extra financial support to JUOT by contributing roughly double the amount of an Ultra-Premium member. You have my, and JUOT's, sincerest thanks for your support.

Lifetime Member - $350 onetime fee.
A "Lifetime Member" of JUOT gets at least all the privileges of an Ultra-Premium member for life- their life or until JUOT is shut down/disbanded. If JUOT is ever sold this membership should transfer/be honored by the new owners however they would be able to legally change their policies at any time.

To subscribe to any of the above options go to the User CP and scroll down to the "Paid Subscriptions" link under "Miscellaneous" or click here.
You do NOT need an existing PayPal account to pay via PayPal.

Banner Ads
PM Me, BirdOPrey5, for approval of ads first. They must be 468x60 pixels in .gif, .jpg, or .png format. Animated GIFs OK. Cost is generally $25 for the first month and $20 for each additional month, or $100 for 6 months, $180 for a year. The total number of banner ads in the rotation are usually about 13, but subject to change. Payment will be by PayPal, instructions will be sent once ad(s) is/are approved. If you buy a multi-month plan you may change banners up to once a month assuming new banner is approved.

Advanced Quick Reply Editor
Below is an example of the "Advanced Quick Reply" editor that premium members can use (they get this by default)- as you can see it makes posting replies with formatting and smilies easier.

This can be turned off if you want by PMing me.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
I'm happy as a basic member until you promote me, but I ain't holding my breath ;). jjj

(Joke)
I just skimmed it and the taking away of my ability to lock my own threads is total bullshit.

I just might disagree with this enough to pull a Brock and take the **** off.

It's one thing to not give the privilege to new free members. It's another thing entirely to take away privileges from members who have been here since the very beginning.

Black Widow

Bite me, I'm poison.
I just skimmed it and the taking away of my ability to lock my own threads is total bullshit.

It's one thing to not give the privilege to new free members. It's another thing entirely to take away privileges from members who have been here since the very beginning.
Whoa! Now, you don't go no where Ok! All sites need a little income to keep them going. It's not you're not important, in fact I wager that given the choice I would be first out the door ;). I did not read it in full (granted) but I tell you this much. I have been loyal to a site before, I was (Fact) not blowing my own trumpet there number one poster. But, as a basic member you are as welcome... But just cuz you have been there the longest ain't gonna matter none.

The way I see it, stay cuz you like it. Stay cuz you like the people. Don't worry about the rest- it's like life. You may be older and wiser, but without friends, without liking where you are there is NO point! There will always be rules we don't like... But fawk um!

X

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
Whoa! Now, you don't go no where Ok! All sites need a little income to keep them going. It's not you're not important, in fact I wager that given the choice I would be first out the door ;). I did not read it in full (granted) but I tell you this much. I have been loyal to a site before, I was (Fact) not blowing my own trumpet there number one poster. But, as a basic member you are as welcome... But just cuz you have been there the longest ain't gonna matter none.

The way I see it, stay cuz you like it. Stay cuz you like the people. Don't worry about the rest- it's like life. You may be older and wiser, but without friends, without liking where you are there is NO point! There will always be rules we don't like... But fawk um!

X
Funny thing is, just this past week I was considering contributing.

Now Joe ain't getting shit from me.

Black Widow

Bite me, I'm poison.
Funny thing is, just this past week I was considering contributing.

Now Joe ain't getting shit from me.
Need to re-read. Don't be so disheartened, don't leave :(. It's no biggy.

I don't (honestly) know Joe that well, and hell I'm nothing here. But, it's a forum. Some will like it, others not. Eh! I stay cuz it's fun I don't care if (some) can delete threads, I can't, and mine are shit anyway.

Does it matter? :shrug:

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
Need to re-read. Don't be so disheartened, don't leave :(. It's no biggy.

I don't (honestly) know Joe that well, and hell I'm nothing here. But, it's a forum. Some will like it, others not. Eh! I stay cuz it's fun I don't care if (some) can delete threads, I can't, and mine are shit anyway.

Does it matter? :shrug:
It matters to me ;)

Black Widow

Bite me, I'm poison.
It matters to me ;)
I'm not staff here. All I can do is say what I think.

Why would you want to delete threads?

I genuinely would like to know.

Look at it this way, I'm an admin on a fantastic forum (in my opinion) I could have more say... If I wanted too. Truth is, I roll with what's best for everyone. I don't abuse what I have. If tomorrow I did not have that right, would I leave? Hell, No! I like it there, I like the people there.

See?

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
I'm not staff here. All I can do is say what I think.

Why would you want to delete threads?

I genuinely would like to know.

Look at it this way, I'm an admin on a fantastic forum (in my opinion) I could have more say... If I wanted too. Truth is, I role with what's best for everyone. I don't abuse what I have. If tomorrow I did not have that right, would I leave? Hell, No! I like it there, I like the people there.

See?
Well at this point I would like to mass delete all of my threads just to piss Joe off.

You get used to certain abilities. This is akin to your work telling you you are about to take a pay cut.

Black Widow

Bite me, I'm poison.
Well at this point I would like to mass delete all of my threads just to piss Joe off.

You get used to certain abilities. This is akin to your work telling you you are about to take a pay cut.
So, you want to piss Joe off! **** me that's easy, curse more and call him a fag. You have no 'pay cut' he's trying to stay afloat. I can see this, eh! I don't want those powers. So, if he wants to give those to (them) that pay, let um have it.

Don't ****ing go! I would miss you, then I would have to stalk you- shit! I'm not good at that. jjj

Seriously... Stay. Let it roll off your back like water. I know you like it here. :)

Black Widow

Bite me, I'm poison.
So, you want to piss Joe off! **** me that's easy, curse more and call him a fag. You have no 'pay cut' he's trying to stay afloat. I can see this, eh! I don't want those powers. So, if he wants to give those to (them) that pay, let um have it.

Don't ****ing go! I would miss you, then I would have to stalk you- shit! I'm not good at that. jjj

Seriously... Stay. Let it roll off your back like water. I know you like it here. :)
[/url][/IMG]

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP

Nothing changed today, Nothing changed yesterday, Nothing changed in the last month, Nothing changed in the last 6 months, regarding memberships and "rights" of members.

I simply removed the announcement that was at the top of every forum and made it a post.

I removed the announcement because I will shortly be releasing a new mobile style and having the announcement on top of every page didn't look good with it.

Also for the most part anyone who wanted to contribute has by now, I may bump this from time to time but not often.

The previous "last Updated" was September 2010 in fact. I only updated the date, nothing else today.