• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Lamb or Mutton on the Smoker?

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I was thinking about smoking a leg of lamb.

Who’s done it?
What cut was it?
How’d you prep and smoke?
Rub?
Any wood chips for smoke?
Pull off at 135°F or higher?
Rest for 20 mins?
How’d it turn out?
Did you eat with a mint jelly too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I’d use a fruit wood, something mild, with lamb. I’m betting it’ll take the smoke flavor quite well and you don’t want to over power it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Couple of recipes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Yeah, I’ve run all that down and watched the vids too. Just wondering if any of the mind meld here had any IRL experience with it.

Fuggit, I’m going to give her hell. Already have a queue, so it’ll be a few weeks.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Can't stand the taste. That being said, I won a couple 1st and 2nd place ribbons for leg of lamb when I was doing BBQ competitions.

Marinades never did well (at least at the competitions). I rubbed mine with garlic paste, then a light coat of my basic rub.

Too much/too heavy of smoke makes it bitter. Steve/ABQ was right on target with the fruit wood suggestion. Apple is a good wood for that. Alder is another great lighter smoke. My winning one was done with guava wood. Other ribbon was using Alder.

Cook it as you would to get a rare/med-rare steak temperature (130-ish).

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
For fruit wood I have: mulberry, apple, peach

Other than that I have: hickory, pecan

Over do it with smoke? I mean this thing rolls smoke of some sort the entire time because it’s cooking over wood charcoal. I usually throw on a handful or two of chips, usually a mix between two. Apple pecan, hickory peach, hickory pecan, mulberry pecan/hickory, etc.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
For fruit wood I have: mulberry, apple, peach

Other than that I have: hickory, pecan

Over do it with smoke? I mean this thing rolls smoke of some sort the entire time because it’s cooking over wood charcoal. I usually throw on a handful or two of chips, usually a mix between two. Apple pecan, hickory peach, hickory pecan, mulberry pecan/hickory, etc.
Just don't use a smoke with a strong flavor. Fruit woods tend to have a lighter flavor, vs something like hickory or mesquite. Personally I'd go with the apple wood on the lamb.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Not yet. I'm smoking four pork shoulders and six racks of ribs this Saturday. I want to try the lamb within the next couple of weeks and will definitely post up results.

The Meater Plus arrived yesterday and I got the indirect heat plate and additional rack last Saturday.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Case of leg of lamb and ducks ordered through our local super market. They get all of their meat from Nebraska. I’ve yet to find a better place to buy meat.

Gonna clean out the smoker this weekend.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Test run...

Prep: butter, spices and herbs (pepper, salt, garlic, onion, paprika, sage, thyme, rosemary and nutmeg)...

Threw in a handful of apple wood chips - the boy threw in a handful as well. Smoked at 250°F for 3hrs 35mins until it hit 145°F internal temp. Rested until it hit 150°F and stopped rising.

Turned out nicely. Tastes great.

I want to try smoking one to 203°F because it’ll melt all of the fat just like pulled pork. Pulled lamb!

Last edited:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Did you really mean to type you let it rest until it hit 250 degrees?!