• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Last night's dinner!!!!

Hickory and apple smoked elk back strap with Bubba rub, bacon and balsamic Brussel sprouts, cauliflower mac and cheese. Wine is a 2013 Del Dotto Sangiovese. Field to table eating is the best!!!!

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I almost bought a pellet smoker today but I'm going to wait a little while. I really would love to build one.

D-Dog

A slob, fed by Jeffery
VIP
I almost bought a pellet smoker today but I'm going to wait a little while. I really would love to build one.
I saw that Weber is coming out with a pellet smoker in early 2020, I am waiting on the reviews... It's supposed to sear, have a clean out box and be able to remove the pellets easily to change wood type.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Where the hell are you buying all of this elk?

Do you have trouble keeping it from getting dry and tough? I've never cooked any but I've heard that since they're such a muscular and generally in-shape animal that you can easily make it kind of tough and chewy if you don't know what you're doing. I just generally assume you don't know what you're doing.

Where the hell are you buying all of this elk?

Do you have trouble keeping it from getting dry and tough? I've never cooked any but I've heard that since they're such a muscular and generally in-shape animal that you can easily make it kind of tough and chewy if you don't know what you're doing. I just generally assume you don't know what you're doing.
DOES THAT SHIT LOOK DRY AND CHEWY?

I buy my elk from the specialty butcher where the meat is made.

You took the pictures, for F***'s sake - how am I supposed to know from that?
sigh.....Elk needs to be cooked medium rare for the steaks and it will stay tender....

for the ribs, I smoked them for 2 hours then wrapped in foil with some beer and worsterschire (however the fuck you spell it) so they would steam...

then I rested them for half an hour wrapped in foil. they first rack I didn't rest and it wasn't as tender as the rack I let rest.

the flavor was spot on and TOH and I both NOM NOM'd the fawk out of the ribs.

I also made Green Chile elk burgers on the grill the other night. I cooked them to medium rare and they were fucking delicious.