• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Need new Printer/Fax

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I'd be inclined to go for one with color. Personally however, I've been less than satisfied with the software on mom's Brother MFC. It prints ok and scans ok but it's limited in terms of the info it can give you. As an example it only warns you of low toner but not how many pages you might get from the remaining. It could do a better job of network scanning. As it stands, it really doesn't work in her environment unless you want to stand up/sit down a few million times.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I just assume use the Windows driver and not care at all about anything beyond the basics. When the printing gets too light we replace the toner.

Color is too big and too expensive.

Will never buy inkjet again, only Laser was considered.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Laser is my preference as well. Only inkjet I have is wide format. Probably needs new ink/printhead as I haven't used it in a long time.

Primary reason I want to know ahead of time that toner is getting low is so I can have it waiting for mom when the installed cartridge exhausts. She's sufficiently oblivious to these things that she'll run out when it's critical that she be able to print.

Part of my job as the Good Son. :D

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Why not just have the extra cartridge at home ready to be changed when needed. Always have one on hand?

If you plan to use the next one for another 10 years, spring for color. Who knows how your needs may change in the next decade. If anything, look for other options you may not need... Does anyone even fax anymore when most places you can just scan and e-mail? I can't remember the last time I used my all-in-one for anything other than printing....

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
A lot of faxing in my life for medical things.

Simply can't find a color one that would fit in the same space as this one which is basically the largest I can fit in the wall unit where the old one was.

Amazon.com Brother MFCL2700DW Compact Laser All-In One Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex Printing Electronics

The previous Brother lasted over 10 years. Now you can hardly print without a paper jam or some other error bugging it out.

It had a good run.

STAPLES: Brother MFCL2700DW Mono Laser All-In-One Printer | Staples
We have the Brother 2740DW and no issues out of it, and we use it way more than you likely would. That being said, I prefer our Canon MX892, I just like it better.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Not a bad policy really.

My next printer will be an HP all in one. In color of course.

I have a B&W as well as a color HP laser printer, both work very well and are rather speedy. I wouldn't mind consolidating footprint to take up less space.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Not a bad policy really.

My next printer will be an HP all in one. In color of course.

I have a B&W as well as a color HP laser printer, both work very well and are rather speedy. I wouldn't mind consolidating footprint to take up less space.
We run HP mostly.