• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

New Mexico People

gcb

VIP
I'm taking the family on vacation to Santa Fe for a week in July. What should we do? I've already got the following on the list:

Meow Wolf
NM History Museum
Harrell House Bug Museum
Oldest house in the US

Are there any easy hikes (we'll have our 5 y/o with us)? Any hot springs?

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I'm taking the family on vacation to Santa Fe for a week in July. What should we do? I've already got the following on the list:

Meow Wolf
NM History Museum
Harrell House Bug Museum
Oldest house in the US

I'll be in Santa Fe and abq in a few weeks.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'll be in Santa Fe and abq in a few weeks.
So, you never stop. I’ve had beers with virtually everyone who’s visited except you and Justin. Must be a ginger thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP

Meow Wolf
NM History Museum
Harrell House Bug Museum
Oldest house in the US

You’ll have a car? If so, drive over to the Jemez, there’s some pull offs on NM4 with short hikes and hot springs to hit.

I’ll think up some other details later today.

gcb

VIP
You’ll have a car? If so, drive over to the Jemez, there’s some pull offs on NM4 with short hikes and hot springs to hit.

I’ll think up some other details later today.

Yup, I'll have a car.

I'll add Jemez to the list. Thanks

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Bandelier National Monument is nearby. You can climb in the cliff dwellings. Kiddo might like that.

Tent Rocks (Kasha-Katuwe) is near Cochiti, beautiful hiking area with some unique geology

Valles Caldera - you could make a day of looping Bandelier, Caldera, then down through Jemez

Reactions: gcb

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Oh there’s the Bradbury Science museum in Los Alamos too.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
So, you never stop. I’ve had beers with virtually everyone who’s visited except you and Justin. Must be a ginger thing.

I'm only stopping in ABQ to drop someone off at the airport on the way back. I have to drive from CO to the gulf coast in two days for a conference. We're staying in Santa Fe on the way out then going north to Co making our way West to Silverton.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'm only stopping in ABQ to drop someone off at the airport on the way back. I have to drive from CO to the gulf coast in two days for a conference. We're staying in Santa Fe on the way out then going north to Co making our way West to Silverton.
My give-a-shit meter is pegged on NO

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Santa Fe isn't the most kid-friendly city. It caters more to adults than, say, Orlando. I love SF, though, and make it there at least a couple of times a year.

Oldest house is free, but not really very interesting. Don't plan to spend more than about three minutes there, really.

Buy your tickets ahead of time for Meow Wolf, it'll save you a few minutes. Also go early. Kid will love it.

International Folk Art museum would be great for kids. The whole Museum Hill area has plenty to entertain a kid, but folk art is like cartoons come to life for a kid.

Walk the kid along the Palace of the Governors - much of the jewelry sold there is truly beautiful. Lots of chotchkie stores around the Plaza. Rule of thumb is that if they are having a sale, what they are selling is junk. The Plaza is a good starting point, but there's a lot more to see nearby.

Railyard area may be fun for a kid. Santa Fe Brewing's brakehouse is there, too.

Sign up for a pottery or adobe-making class. Yelp should point you toward a good one. In fact I bet there are a lot of day camps.

For adults, hire a babysitter and go to 10,000 Waves one afternoon/evening. The attached restaurant is great, too.

Agree with abqtj on Bandalier. Not a challenging hike, but perfect with a kid and lots of cliff dwellings and ladders to climb.

Are you flying into ABQ or SAF? If ABQ, drive up via Madrid. Funky little town. Pronounced MAD-rid.

Lotta great restaurants. La Choza will have a line, but show up 15 minutes before they open, put your name in, have a drink, and wait. Rowley Farmhouse always has good beer and eats and is on the way to/from Meow Wolf.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Tortilla Flats, pretty much in front of Meow Wolf, sucks absolute donkey dicks. Do not go there.

Cowgirl (or Cowgirl BBQ) is good, near the plaza area, kinda between Railyards and Plaza. Lots of times has live music

The Shed is a favorite of locals, right off the plaza

Plaza Cafe is good. I've eaten next to a couple of movie stars there before.

Go see the famous staircase. Our Story
It really is pretty cool and an amazing story about the staircase.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
The Shed is always great, but I prefer La Choza now. Same family, so same recipe but they give you sopas instead of stupid French (#freedom) bread. La Choza has kind of a generic feel inside, but Christmas-style enchiladas there are like a high-carb wet dream on a plate.

Tomasita's is 99% as good. I was unimpressed with Maria's on my last visit and swore them off a couple of years ago, but I need to try again.

Had a great meal at Joseph's Culinary Pub a month or so ago. It's $$ but seriously good.

For breakfast, Sage Bakehouse, Tune Up Cafe, and Modern General are always great.

People rave about Paper Dosa, but I was about six Bosque Scotia beers in by then and wasn't impressed.

Yelp is pretty on point in SF. Above 4.5 and it's probably going to be excellent.

Where are you staying? Great city for AirBnB.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Ive decided Im not a Tomasita’s person never cared for it.