• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Office 365

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I decided to go with the free trial MS offered and of course it's having issues finding the account I just created right off the bat. Very glad I didn't actually pay money yet.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I've been using O365 for years. Haven't had a lick of trouble with it, buy it straight from Microsoft. $100+ tax/year.

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
I've never had a problem installing or using it, but I still can't fully grasp the GUI. Office 2003 was so much easier.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Never had any issues with MS Office 365. If you run MS Project, you need to keep in mind which MS Office 365 you run, 32 bit or 64 bit. MS Project must match, otherwise yer fukt.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Apparently it just took time for the account to be created. Have it installed now, seems to be working well. I installed 64 bit, couldn't figure out why it wanted to install 32 bit. The main reason was for Outlook since they killed off Microsoft Live Mail. They got me.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Apparently it just took time for the account to be created. Have it installed now, seems to be working well. I installed 64 bit, couldn't figure out why it wanted to install 32 bit. The main reason was for Outlook since they killed off Microsoft Live Mail. They got me.
I don't know if they still do, but they used to recommend 32-bit so that it would definitely be compatible with other users. Some things created in 64-bit can't be opened by someone with 32-bit, but stuff created in 32-bit can be opened by either. I think they made a tool for 32-bit users to open 64, by now it may be integrated. I haven't fooled with it in several years, so this could be outdated info at this point.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I don't know if they still do, but they used to recommend 32-bit so that it would definitely be compatible with other users. Some things created in 64-bit can't be opened by someone with 32-bit, but stuff created in 32-bit can be opened by either. I think they made a tool for 32-bit users to open 64, by now it may be integrated. I haven't fooled with it in several years, so this could be outdated info at this point.
I run 64bit as it handles large excel files much better. Users on 32 in our office have no issue opening what I create.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I run 64bit as it handles large excel files much better. Users on 32 in our office have no issue opening what I create.
I think it was only Access even back then, but it may be nothing at all by now. I know there are two separate sets of ODBC DSNs and drivers for 32-bit and 64-bit still, but that may not mean anything either.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Would have been great if it was just Outlook, Word, and Excel. Maybe PowerPoint, could have gone either way on that.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
I honestly don't understand why someone would pay for this for home use. So many good free alternatives.
I now use the free alternatives, but if I wasn't so cheap I'd love to have the real MS Office in some form or other. Just because it works so well and is so powerful, and I'm used to it from years working with it. So, I do understand why someone would want it, but I'm too cheap to buy it.
:beerchug:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I honestly don't understand why someone would pay for this for home use. So many good free alternatives.
I still have some people I talk with in the corporate world, need to be able to speak their language without converting back and forth from free software. But I agree if it was just me I'd be fine with Google Docs and the rest of their free office suite.

I still have some people I talk with in the corporate world, need to be able to speak their language without converting back and forth from free software. But I agree if it was just me I'd be fine with Google Docs and the rest of their free office suite.
You do know there are free office suites that can use MS Office file formats right? Might not be 100% depending on how complicated and fancy your document/spreadsheet/whatever is, but I'd at least give them a try before spending the money.