• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Office 365

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
1TB of Onedrive space included with it doesn't hurt...
Not one bit.

While there are good free alternatives, most people aren't comfortable with using them. I prefer to put things in front of people that they'll be familiar with.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
You do know there are free office suites that can use MS Office file formats right? Might not be 100% depending on how complicated and fancy your document/spreadsheet/whatever is, but I'd at least give them a try before spending the money.
:werd: I use MS file formats and even ms fonts, no sweat. It definitely isn't QUITE as user friendly as Office, but at the cost of free it's worth the minor inconvenience.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Minor inconvenience becomes major when supporting others. Since I'm buying it for family to use, I'm going to use it too.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
You do know there are free office suites that can use MS Office file formats right? Might not be 100% depending on how complicated and fancy your document/spreadsheet/whatever is, but I'd at least give them a try before spending the money.
I can't use the excuse something doesn't open or look right because I'm using open office or some other free alternative.

I can't use the excuse something doesn't open or look right because I'm using open office or some other free alternative.
If it doesn't work it doesn't work, I get it. $80/year is pretty cheap if you are using it for some kind of income. I gotta ask though, when is the last time you tried Libre Office or Open Office or any of the other free alternatives?

At this point you can easily compare, just install Libre Office and see if your documents open correctly. Make a few edits, save them, then open them in Office... BTW, there are compatibility and display/print differences between different versions of Word so buying an Office 365 sub doesn't guarantee perfect compatibility either.

You get a good bit of office for free through a Hotmail/onedrive account.

My company is going full on with Google Kite (will be ditching MS Office).

Friend that works for MS got me a discount last year and I just renewed at $100 without a concern. Turning off Carbonite and moving online backup to OneDrive. I installed on both my parents pc's so now they can back up to the cloud as well. They share calendars, contacts, etc from iCloud, Google, etc. so having the current version of Outlook to make things work without me having to fix it all the time is worth it.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
At this point you can easily compare, just install Libre Office and see if your documents open correctly. Make a few edits, save them, then open them in Office... BTW, there are compatibility and display/print differences between different versions of Word so buying an Office 365 sub doesn't guarantee perfect compatibility either.
It's been a good while and I haven't actually paid Microsoft yet and it would be a business expense (deductible) but free is still better than a deduction. I'll check out your suggestions, thanks.

Offhand do you have a preference? Does either provide an Outlook alternative?

Edit - LibreOffice - Portable versions | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People
No Outlook alternative.

Open Office - Apache OpenOffice Product Description
Also no Outlook.

Doesn't seem to be much to compare with Outlook, especially not free- 5 Best Free Alternatives To Outlook for Multiple Email Accounts 2018

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
It's been a good while and I haven't actually paid Microsoft yet and it would be a business expense (deductible) but free is still better than a deduction. I'll check out your suggestions, thanks.

Edit - LibreOffice - Portable versions | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People
No Outlook alternative.

Also no Outlook.

Doesn't seem to be much to compare with Outlook, especially not free- 5 Best Free Alternatives To Outlook for Multiple Email Accounts 2018
I use LibreOffice and like it, but I do use it on Linux so that may make some difference. I don't know of a good Outlook alternative - I don't use it, so I didn't even realize LibreOffice didn't have something equivalent until you mentioned it.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
It's been a while but Thunderbird wasn't bad when I used it years ago
It's a lot more like Outlook Express than full Outlook, I think. May still do enough for him, though.

No Outlook alternative.

Also no Outlook.

I don't have much of an opinion of an e-mail client, or really an office suite either. I just use gmail, the web client for most stuff or the mobile app on my phone.

It's hard to recommend something when we don't know your needs. Just basic connection to gmail or some other IMAP server? Do you need full Exchange integration? Is web based ok or is there some reason you need a stand alone app?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
IMAP support mostly. But I still have old emails saved in outlook format I wouldn't want to lose access too.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Do you have things stowed in PST files? If so, move them to your Gmail account. Easy peasy.

Unless your PST total exceeds what you get with Gmail in which case you still need $$$