• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Pastrami/Corned Beef/Montreal smoked meat.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Anyone done a wet brine and a dry brine on brisket with spices tp make pastrami or variants?
I just pulled the first piece off the smoker. Going to let it cool over night and then get the meat slicer out and steam some thin slices.
I think right now it might be just a bit salty even after the 3 hour bath in water changing the water every thirty minutes.
I wet brined for 5 days and let it rest in fridge for 1 day after soaking.

2nd one comes on Tuesday. Dry brine. 4 days and more time on the smoker.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I’ve never tried making it but it seems pretty straightforward. Brisket is $$$ around here so I’d want to make damn sure I didn’t mess it up. What salts did you use, Kosher and Prague #1?

Dry brine for 4 days? So dry rub and let it cure?

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I’ve never tried making it but it seems pretty straightforward. Brisket is $$$ around here so I’d want to make damn sure I didn’t mess it up. What salts did you use, Kosher and Prague #1?

Dry brine for 4 days? So dry rub and let it cure?
First one....5 days in wet brine, second one 4 days dry brine.
For the dry brine, rub, cure(3-5 days) rinse for 2-3 hours changing water every 30 minutes. Then season with a dry rub and get that sucker on the smoker.
I use Prague #1 and kosher...you only need a little Prague.
I got a full packer (prime) for 4.99/lb.
The choice was 3.99/lb. I didn't buy this.
They also had a center cut for 7.99/lb. That's what I cooked today. It was about 6 lbs.

Beef prices are like ammo.....sometimes you find a place that has good deals and good quality, and sometimes you don't. :agree: