• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Pickles?

last night I threw a brine together of apple cider vinegar, salt and whole peppercorns. I used my mandoline to crinkle cut a cucumber and threw them in a mason jar with whole garlic cloves and a habenero pepper at the bottom and covered with the brine. I am waiting until lunch to try one.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
my mom used to make awesome pickles when I was a kid. Cucumbers and all the herbs and spices were from the garden. She did a bread and butter chips, then dill spears and spicy spears. I wonder if she still has any of her old recipes...

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
my mom used to make awesome pickles when I was a kid. Cucumbers and all the herbs and spices were from the garden. She did a bread and butter chips, then dill spears and spicy spears. I wonder if she still has any of her old recipes...
I have my grandmother's old canning book. It has a lot of recopies in it from pickling to jams and jelly

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
I made a bunch of these last year and they were damn good!

Fresh Dill Pickles

unpeeled cucumbers, sliced lengthwise
6 cups water
3 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup kosher or canning salt (no iodine)
1 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
5 to 8 garlic cloves -- peeled but whole
1 cup (or more) onion, sliced
several dill heads and a palm full of dill seed

Boil water, vinegar, salt and sugar in stainless steel pan. In bottom of 5 quart container, pul in half of the dill heads, garlic cloves and onion. Pack container firmly with sliced cucumbers. Add remaining dill, garlic cloves and onion. Pour boiling syrup over to cover. Cover container and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Refrigerate. Will keep for a year in refrigerator. (Pickles need about 2 weeks to be ready to eat.) May add whole or sliced hot peppers for zest.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Couldn't tell from the OP, did you cook it at all, or just put it together cold?