• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Raspberry Pi 3

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Built in BT and Wifi. 1.2ghz dual core 64-bit vs 900mhz 32-bit for the Pi 2. Same form factor as the Pi 2.

Ordered mine yesterday so that it can sit in my desk drawer doing nothing with two of the three that I already own. :jump:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I have a B, B+, 2, and now will have a 3. The B+ was deployed at a friends house to replicate my source control repository offsite. For some reason he unplugged it back in August and hasn't hooked it back up. Probably will get it back from him at some point.

Thinking about bringing one to work to keep handy as a personal "skunkworks" server to play with if I ever have time to experiment/learn LAMP stuff.

JLS

JUOT Refugee
VIP
Got a Pi2 a few weeks ago and setup an NES EmulationStation. Works pretty good, but haven't used in quite a while. lol

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Built in BT and Wifi. 1.2ghz dual core 64-bit vs 900mhz 32-bit for the Pi 2. Same form factor as the Pi 2.

Ordered mine yesterday so that it can sit in my desk drawer doing nothing with two of the three that I already own. :jump:
WIFI is a game changer. I think I'll check it out. They must have HMI.?

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
One of those is on my "list" for some point. I'd like to interest youngest in programming.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I spent some time on and off today tinkering with my Model B and 2. Got my svn repos syncing down to both. Also installed PHP and MySql on the model B. Going to tinker with a few things. Haven't done much in PHP. Would be neat to learn some basics.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Another possible use is for an indoor sign. Want to get one at my church and Pi could be an ideal solution.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I've been geeking out with my three existing PIs as of late. I have each of them configured with SVN to replicate my various repositories down as mirrors/backups. I also have them all configured to connect to my cloud server and create a reverse SSH tunnel through which I can gain access to them wherever they're deployed.... without having to configure a firewall and port forwarding.

For example, my original PI is sitting on my desk in the office connected to the public WiFi. I can SSH into it through my cloud server from home.

I've also been practicing some shell scripting. As you can imagine, the various things I'm doing work much better as scripts called by CRON that simply entered as commands into CRON.

Next up.... LAMP with emphasis on P.

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
The kids have gotten into games and are enjoying themselves. I played Mario World on the Wii with them and decided to make it old school where when we game over, we had to start from the beginning. The youngest figured out he could play my profile and have all access to the worlds and hidden things. He didn't have a clue how to do things that you learn in the beginning.... ANYWAY

For Christmas I'm gonna grab a 3 b+ with that Retropie and have a guy at work load a micro SD with all the consoles up to PS2. I wouldn't mind destroying them at Twisted Metal or 007

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Any reason you'd go for a 3 B+ over a 4 at this point? They're the same price and the 4 is a pretty big improvement over the 3.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Can't imagine anything would require a 3 over a 4 other than maybe a specific case.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Micro Center has a new line of DIY arcade stuff. Powered by a Pi. Not sure I need another project though