• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Ridiculous Universal Remote

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I bought one of them when I got my living room system setup... Never got very far with it- was too complicated for people who weren't me to use... plus the universal remote that came with the cable box did literally just about everything anyway so it's collecting dust somewhere.

John

Transplant
VIP
Harmony remotes rock. I've had the 890 for a few years now and its been great.

John

Transplant
VIP
I bought one of them when I got my living room system setup... Never got very far with it- was too complicated for people who weren't me to use... plus the universal remote that came with the cable box did literally just about everything anyway so it's collecting dust somewhere.
Mine is so easy. You set up all up on the computer via a USB input and all you do is press "watch TV" Listen to music" watch a DVD", etc and it does everything for you. Its great for Marcia who is not electronically inclined at all.

This was my first thought, but he wants to program this thing to handle all the electronics, both upstairs and downstairs, and he's looking at a wireless extender so we can access all the media on our computer(s) as well as Netflix via that. (This was born from looking at a Blu-Ray player that has network capabilities.)

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Mine is so easy. You set up all up on the computer via a USB input and all you do is press "watch TV" Listen to music" watch a DVD", etc and it does everything for you. Its great for Marcia who is not electronically inclined at all.
That's good if your equipment (all of it) had discrete commands for power on / power off / input x / etc... most do these days but not all... if you can't tell it to power "on" or power "off" only and it's just a "Power" button then it can lose track of what's on and what's off if the remote isn't pointed at the right device or someone turns something on/off manually... worse for inputs- if you have to press 'input' twice say to go from cable to DVD player and somewhere along the lines it loses sync with what's really happening then it will never work until you manually bring it back into what the remote thinks is going on... I hate the whole "Watch TV" or "Listen to Music" menu options- I like to have every command available at all times.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
What kind is it? Would you like someone to take it off your hands?

John

Transplant
VIP
That's good if your equipment (all of it) had discrete commands for power on / power off / input x / etc... most do these days but not all... if you can't tell it to power "on" or power "off" only and it's just a "Power" button then it can lose track of what's on and what's off if the remote isn't pointed at the right device or someone turns something on/off manually... worse for inputs- if you have to press 'input' twice say to go from cable to DVD player and somewhere along the lines it loses sync with what's really happening then it will never work until you manually bring it back into what the remote thinks is going on... I hate the whole "Watch TV" or "Listen to Music" menu options- I like to have every command available at all times.
I've never had any problems with mine and all you have to do is press "device" and it gives you each component's controls. I have mine set up so the controls I use are all on the first page.

HDC

Fiercely mediocre
I've had two now and have been very happy with them. The software early on was horrible but has since improved drastically. The only reason I bought a second on was that the first one was a low end unit that had some of the button inking wear away. The next step up one I bought about two years ago works wonderfully.