• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Ryzen 3000 looks very interesting

The Epic Beard

I watched the AMD announcement too, looks promising. I'm waiting on benchmarks and reviews before deciding of I'm going to the 300 series or not. Also the x570 motherboards all having small fans onboard is puzzling, good to know the x470 will work regardless. I might just get a 2000 series chip while cheap and make a decision later. I'm currently running a dinosaur not worth upgrading so really looking hard now at a new build.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Ryzen 9 3850X is almost enough to get me to go back to AMD. I'll wait for street pricing however.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm unconcerned about the chipset fan. They're very quick to point out that it only runs when needed, and I feel that is probably when doing RAID PCIE 4.0 under heavy workloads.

I'm likely going to build the 12 core Ryzen 9 3900x unless they announce a 16 core model in the next 30 days.. The 3850x was a rumor that wasn't actually announced.

https://www.amd.com/en/product/8436

I'm likely building in July. Have the case already. Just need the components. Going all SSD, probably all NVME, though there is a possibility that I do a 4tb SATA SSD for bulk storage.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I'll wait.

For data storage, I'll likely stick to platter drivers for a bit longer to keep costs down. If I could get a 4TB SSD for $100, I'd think differently. :D

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
ASRock x570M Pro4 is looking like a prime candidate for my build. Gotta go with the mAtx as I already have the case.

The Epic Beard

Depends, according to buildzoid a decent x470 should run the 16c saving a few $ on a 570. i guess depends if you need pci 4 or not. Some of those 570s are looking very price.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm intending to get a PCI 4.0 drive and thus x570. I regularly copy and compress 3gb files and can appreciate extra storage speed.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Reviews are very good. Looking forward to seeing details on x570 motherboards. Will probably do my build on this platform in August/September depending on if I decide to splurge on the 3950x or go with the 3900x. Given how I use my computer and how long I go between builds, I'm thinking the 3950x might be the choice. The 50% premium on the 16c proc over the 12c proc is apparently the binning process in addition to the 25% more cores. Seems like it could be a winner. I'll be replacing an i7-2600k.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
AMD also pulled a little shenanigans on NVidia with video cards too....also making the market more competitive.

I am also running an i7-2600k and a couple of SLI cards. Haven't done a new build in quite some time, but I don't do as much crunching as I used to.
The only thing I have done recently is swap out all of my HDD's to SSD's, and that was 6 months ago.