• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Should we auto resize images?

Auto Resize Images in Posts?

• Total voters

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Thinking of installing a simple image resizer- if a pic in a post is too large it will auto-resize it to a smaller size (so as not to throw off the page) and if you need to see it full size you click on something and the image expands to full size right on the page, not in a new window.

Thoughts?

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Thinking of installing a simple image resizer- if a pic in a post is too large it will auto-resize it to a smaller size (so as not to throw off the page) and if you need to see it full size you click on something and the image expands to full size right on the page, not in a new window.

Thoughts?
Many of the vB boards I visit already have this, WW I believe included. Surprised you don't already have it.

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
So long as you don't go crazy, I'm OK with this... but allow some fairly large size images, most of us have pretty good sized screens. I don't know what the limit should be, but 1024x768 should easily be permitted.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
So long as you don't go crazy, I'm OK with this... but allow some fairly large size images, most of us have pretty good sized screens. I don't know what the limit should be, but 1024x768 should easily be permitted.
I think in some iterations it's up to either the user's screen size ( it :oac: 's your size) or your personal settings. Can't recall which though they always seem to look right regardless of computer in use.

Nothing requires a vote but people bitch about these things when I don't ask.:shrug:
There's a reasonably peaceful medium for you to find.

Kevin

Not in the 'In' Crowd
VIP
I think in some iterations it's up to either the user's screen size ( it :oac: 's your size) or your personal settings. Can't recall which though they always seem to look right regardless of computer in use.
There are a few different versions floating around. Some use a hard-coded size (eg: no bigger than 800x600) but the newer ones tend to use some JS to dynamically resize within your current browser size so that it doesn't matter what screen resolution you're using.

whatttup_G

免租的母狗!!11!
Nothing requires a vote but people bitch about these things when I don't ask.:shrug:

well i grant that... you are indeed a very benevolent dictator... and thx again and nice work on the upgraded icon deal, its cooler than i thought :D:D:D

Ralph

VIP
I didn't realize it was a problem. :shrug:

If you find it an issue, I'd rather see it as a policy that requires images to be resized to max 1024x768 before posting (with the exception of TCR), which is easy as fawk to do with ImageShack. Put the onus on the users to be responsible for the shit they post. We should be using ImageShack anyway, that way, 1) we're not usurping someone else's bandwidth, and 2) the image runs less risk of becoming a red x down the line.

At this point, it just seems like it would be using extra CPU time on the server for not much benefit.

Last edited:

Kevin

Not in the 'In' Crowd
VIP
... At this point, it just seems like it would be using extra CPU time on the server for not much benefit.
JS processing is done in the client (aka: your browser) so no "extra CPU time on the server" will be used.

Ralph

VIP
JS processing is done in the client (aka: your browser) so no "extra CPU time on the server" will be used.
I didn't realize the whole thing was client-side. I'z not a VB expert by any means - I made an assumption.

Mike R

Better than Joe.
Joe this is something you should have implmented on this site a while ago screw the poll I'm going to vote anyway but every little change you make you shouldn't subject yourself to the few assholes out there that would disapprove of something just cause it's different. Just do what you feel is right for the site and the true people who enjoy being here will stay, and even those who dissaprove of the changes they will stay too they just like to complain :pirate:

bbo

I know [you]
Joe this is something you should have implmented on this site a while ago screw the poll I'm going to vote anyway but every little change you make you shouldn't subject yourself to the few assholes out there that would disapprove of something just cause it's different. Just do what you feel is right for the site and the true people who enjoy being here will stay, and even those who dissaprove of the changes they will stay too they just like to complain :pirate:
ummmm its done already .. works very well thank you bop