• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Smokin-It #2 electric smoker

Neil

Better than Matt
VIP
Just ordered a Smokin-It #2 electric smoker. People seems to love these units. Anyone ever used one?

Neil

Better than Matt
VIP
Damn never heard of them but it’s cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I had never heard from them either. Was going to buy a Traeger, but I think I like this better. Weighs in at 115 lbs! Set it and forget it, uses very little wood chunks, not pellets

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Never heard of it either. Does it burn the wood chunks? Could you throw in a natural charcoal for flavor as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil

Better than Matt
VIP
Never heard of it either. Does it burn the wood chunks? Could you throw in a natural charcoal for flavor as well?

Yes, burns chunks. Used about 4 oz or less in an overnight smoke. It only goes from 125-250F. 800 watts. The beauty of this unit is that is it extremely well insulated and holds temps really well.

Neil

Better than Matt
VIP
1st smoke today. 1 1/2" pork rib chops, brined 4 hours kosher salt and brown sugar. Olive oil and a good pork rub, smoked at 225F until internal temp 150F, then seared on my Weber. I used 2 oz. of apple wood, there was charcoal instead of ash left in the smoke box, so that was correct, no fire, but the smoke flavor was over whelming! What did I do wrong?

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
1st smoke today. 1 1/2" pork rib chops, brined 4 hours kosher salt and brown sugar. Olive oil and a good pork rub, smoked at 225F until internal temp 150F, then seared on my Weber. I used 2 oz. of apple wood, there was charcoal instead of ash left in the smoke box, so that was correct, no fire, but the smoke flavor was over whelming! What did I do wrong?
Can you only smoke during portions of the overall cook? Maybe hit it for the first hour then stop the smoke?

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
4 hours brine on pork seems like a lot. I thought once you got over 3 hours you’d start to get a cured ham taste. I usually skip brine and go right to seasoning with a dry rub. I don’t use any oil or mustard. Let sit for 2 hours max with dry rub and straight on the smoker.

Is the apple wood in chunks or chips? Maybe try 1 ounce next time?

What do the drippings fall on in your smoker?

Neil

Better than Matt
VIP
4 hours brine on pork seems like a lot. I thought once you got over 3 hours you’d start to get a cured ham taste. I usually skip brine and go right to seasoning with a dry rub. I don’t use any oil or mustard. Let sit for 2 hours max with dry rub and straight on the smoker.

Is the apple wood in chunks or chips? Maybe try 1 ounce next time?

What do the drippings fall on in your smoker?

I did a test yesterday, 1 oz apple wood chunk, started at 150F for 30 minutes, then ramped it up to 225F for two hours. Way better results. Getting the hang of it now, no white or grey smoke this time.

Last edited: