• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

srt8 wk's

i know we discussed these before, but i keep coming back to them. part of me likes them enough i am almost willing to part with the 30k. then the other part of me shutters at the thought of a 30k dollar used jeep...

don't know how much, if any at all, soaring fuel prices will impact the resale of the srt. they are strong here in the north east...

i can't think of another vehicle i'd believe i'd enjoy as much... :shrug:

sucks having automotive ADD but not liking much out there...

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Rented a 5.7 WK once, had enough power but I hated almost everything about the WK.

Guess you wouldn't buy one for the WK mini van looking body or clunky interior.

Rented a 5.7 WK once, had enough power but I hated almost everything about the WK.

Guess you wouldn't buy one for the WK mini van looking body or clunky interior.
the body has grown on me, and i actually like the interior. i drove an 5.7 wk in both limited and overland trim. neither did much for me.

the srt version really put a smile on my face. pulls like my z but has storage, ability to tackle snow and daily driver practicality...

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
have you driven one?
I have, and they SUCK. I couldn't wait to get my stock 1998 XJ sport back after driving one of those POS's for a week.

Seriously.

Plus having the top end of the engine toast at 35K on a car that was owned since new and meticulously maintained = the lose.

Chryco JUNK at it's worst.

And LOL at "ability to tackle snow". The one my Dad had got stuck in like 1" of snow in a parking lot. Pretty pathetic.

Last edited:
I have, and they SUCK. I couldn't wait to get my stock 1998 XJ sport back after driving one of those POS's for a week.

Seriously.

Plus having the top end of the engine toast at 35K on a car that was owned since new and meticulously maintained = the lose.

Chryco JUNK at it's worst.
there are quite a few out there with 75-80k miles on them...

what year was the one (your family i believe) had? TBSS gets a bad rap too and my father has little to no issues with his. SRT8 grand feels like it has 2x the power of the TBSS though. from the seat of the pants, the TBSS feels slow after driving the SRT8.

the xj is just so fawking boring. i work a lot (different story all together) and my time on the road is really the small bit of time i have to enjoy. i'd like to be in something that makes we want to get out and drive.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
there are quite a few out there with 75-80k miles on them...

what year was the one (your family i believe) had? TBSS gets a bad rap too and my father has little to no issues with his. SRT8 grand feels like it has 2x the power of the TBSS though. from the seat of the pants, the TBSS feels slow after driving the SRT8.

the xj is just so fawking boring. i work a lot (different story all together) and my time on the road is really the small bit of time i have to enjoy. i'd like to be in something that makes we want to get out and drive.
Dude, at 75-80K miles the life of that particular vehicle has long since past. I'm telling you, blue smoke at 35K and you think you can buy one with 80K that will last you a while?

Must have been the first year of production whatever that was, because when my dad got it literally NO ONE else had one yet. It was cool for about a week.

I am not going to tell you to stick with the XJ for a DD but I will tell you that for the money you can do a LOT better than a WK SRT8, or any SRT vehicle for that matter.

Dude, at 75-80K miles the life of that particular vehicle has long since past. I'm telling you, blue smoke at 35K and you think you can buy one with 80K that will last you a while?

Must have been the first year of production whatever that was, because when my dad got it literally NO ONE else had one yet. It was cool for about a week.

I am not going to tell you to stick with the XJ for a DD but I will tell you that for the money you can do a LOT better than a WK SRT8, or any SRT vehicle for that matter.
i wouldn't buy the 70-80k mile vehicle, nor one with more than 25k miles on it... just stating that i've seen many 6.1's with mileage nearing 100k....

i'd keep for a year or so and dump it with 60k on it...

got any recommendations for wheels? i also looked at a few S4's, but wasn't that impressed. AWD/4WD is a requirement. i am not much a subaru man...

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
i wouldn't buy the 70-80k mile vehicle, nor one with more than 25k miles on it... just stating that i've seen many 6.1's with mileage nearing 100k....

i'd keep for a year or so and dump it with 60k on it...

got any recommendations for wheels? i also looked at a few S4's, but wasn't that impressed. AWD/4WD is a requirement. i am not much a subaru man...
I wonder how many of those have had the engines torn down, at least the top end, from what I've seen. My father actually sold his to a local high performance car dealer who he has ridden harleys with for years. The guy took it as his personal vehicle and then dumped it a month later and was a little pissed at my dad. Same thing, it was cool for about a week.

You wouldn't like any of my recommendations, because I don't do American and you don't seem to do Japanese.

I have driven the SRT Grand at two SRT track days now. I enjoyed them for the short amount of time I got to drive them....they go like snot and handled very well.

Of course they didn't do well in snow....they come with Goodyear F1 tires.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
I have driven the SRT Grand at two SRT track days now. I enjoyed them for the short amount of time I got to drive them....they go like snot and handled very well.

Of course they didn't do well in snow....they come with Goodyear F1 tires.
And at the time we had ours, you couldn't get a 20" snow tire. I imagine that now you can, so that will help bad weather performance but damn those tires must be expensive.

"Handling well" is relative. It handles well for a 5K pound pig. Compared to a sports car, it still handles like shit.

And at the time we had ours, you couldn't get a 20" snow tire. I imagine that now you can, so that will help bad weather performance but damn those tires must be expensive.

"Handling well" is relative. It handles well for a 5K pound pig. Compared to a sports car, it still handles like shit.
Yes the F1's are expensive as hell. I have to buy a set for my SRTcar this week or next. Probably right at $1k for a set of 19's. However when we got all the snow and ice here in GA my car did remarkably well even though the tires were nearly bald.

And yes the WK handled well for what it is....at the track day we had some course that had a figure 8 in it. I was stomping the gas and forcing it through the turns pretty good, I thought it did well for a high center of gravity and a lot of weight.

They were a good bit of fun when we did drags in them as they get off the line better than any of the other SRT offerings.

twylie

VIP
Yes the F1's are expensive as hell. I have to buy a set for my SRTcar this week or next. Probably right at $1k for a set of 19's. However when we got all the snow and ice here in GA my car did remarkably well even though the tires were nearly bald.
I timed tires poorly on our junk. Recently bought 2 sets of Pilot Sports within a month of each other. :teary:

I bet your car is a handful in the snow if you're not careful.

I timed tires poorly on our junk. Recently bought 2 sets of Pilot Sports within a month of each other. :teary:

I bet your car is a handful in the snow if you're not careful.

the front wheel drive helps with the traction, but no you don't want to allow the turbo to generate any boost.

Srt went like a raped ape around road America and was downright scary at the hands of a skip barber school driver. That said 2 blocks of an actual street test drive and we had enough of that junk.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
Bloated pig compared to a Z06. You sure you want to go to an SUV after driving a fiberglass bathtub?