• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

The 49th State

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
First Stop: Denali National Park

Cool, foggy morning in Denali. Fire weed was in full bloom

First wild Grizzly I’ve ever seen

85 miles in to Denali, McKinley comes out

McKinley over Wonder Lake

Arctic Fox

Caribou not far from where the idiot from California was killed by a bear. First documented Grizzly death in the parks 95 year history.

Mom and cubs

End of the road

Second Stop: Homer

Full Moon over Kachemak Bay

Homer Spit

Fly from Homer over to Katmai National Park to walk among the bears.

Flight over

Final approach

The bears

This fugger came out of nowhere. Adrenalin rush.

The View

This shows how close we were. That’s our shadows.

Fatest, laziest Bear I’ve ever seen

This is when you know you’re at the top of the food chain

BBC crew filming a special on the Bears of Katmai. Should be ready next spring.

The runway. Lead plane taking off.

Homer Spit from the air

Third Stop: Seward

Hiked Exit Glacier

Kenai Fjords

Sea Lions

Harbor Seals

Puffin

All pictures: Alaska pictures by FinlayZJ - Photobucket

whatttup_G

免租的母狗!!11!
awesome dude... I have a lot of those pics, especially off the viewpoint in homer, love that view...

you gonna fish some halibut or have you left already? recommend the half day on rainbow, they always limit the boat.

John

Transplant
VIP
Lolz that's what I thought CO was like when I moved here.

Last edited:

whatttup_G

免租的母狗!!11!
just loaded the thread non-mobile, great views man, I love the AK... never saw homer from the air like that, awesome pics dude

so, coming in for the bush landing on the beach... how much WTF would you say was going thru your mind ccccccccc

those bastards will fly off or on anything half flat... one year we blocked traffic on the road so the neighbor could taxi out and take off from the pavement, I'd guess that's the bush plane equivalent to a limo for prom...only in Alaska :D:D:D

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
you gonna fish some halibut or have you left already?
I was there at the end of August. Old thread :bump:

so, coming in for the bush landing on the beach... how much WTF would you say was going thru your mind
We knew it was going to be a beach landing. You fly over then the tide is going out, and leave when the tide starts coming in. The descent was worse than the landing. 8,000' to 0' in a tight spiral. The wind whips off the mountains making for the worst turbulence I've every experienced. There is a void where the wind doesn't really effect, so you do your entire descent in that small window. Fortunately no one on our plane barfed. The entire lead plane barfed though. :jump:

whatttup_G

免租的母狗!!11!
I was there at the end of August. Old thread :bump:

We knew it was going to be a beach landing. You fly over then the tide is going out, and leave when the tide starts coming in. The descent was worse than the landing. 8,000' to 0' in a tight spiral. The wind whips off the mountains making for the worst turbulence I've every experienced. There is a void where the wind doesn't really effect, so you do your entire descent in that small window. Fortunately no one on our plane barfed. The entire lead plane barfed though. :jump:

LOL, pwn3d by not seeing that... so did you bring back some fish? Late August probably too late for any salmon, I think the last ones in are the silver's in early Aug.... still, the halibut should still be hitting.

Eric B??

Erik B

Joey's OK
VIP
LOL, pwn3d by not seeing that... so did you bring back some fish? Late August probably too late for any salmon, I think the last ones in are the silver's in early Aug.... still, the halibut should still be hitting.

Eric B??
:puzzled: You asking me about salmon in August or if Finlay got his skull cracked?

Silvers are still there in August and in to September and October. We do an annual run to the Kenai for late silver in mid-October.
As to the other question I do not remember being contacted in any way shape or form by that Finlay character.

whatttup_G

免租的母狗!!11!
LOL... yeah I was more interested in the fishing jjj

that is late action man, must kick ass to have the river to yourself by then, I'd bet half the locals won't even launch in October... but WTF would I know... hey, you see that fishing wars show that just came out? I.couldn't believe when I saw them flying over the Kenai inlet like that, I recognized it instantly, I bet we passed everyone of those commercial boats in the past... lol what a bunch of salty bastards!!!... the north (i think) bank just above the boundary is the bomb for dip netting, of course for the shot, they pick a time when it's combat dipping :D:D:D

Max Power

Joe's Legs
Staff member
Administrator
Been to Alaska a few times. I love it there. Going in the winter was by far my best experience there. All the things you hear about Alaskan winters are true. Living there would be quite an awesome challenge.