• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TJ Engine Replacement Project

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
i had a 4.0 that was pulled from an XJ and it had the same kind of marking on it. yellow, i think. pops will be here tomorrow, maybe i will ask him if he remembers if they came into the plant that way.
Yup, written in yellow.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Nice quick swap!

You could just do a poor man's stroker on that 4.0L and you'll be good to go at a significantly less cost than a LS swap. You won't have to mess with anything, but the motor. The donor motor in the TJ could go 100k+ miles. Just take your time.

Or, you could just rebuild that 4.0L to almost stock with cost effective improvements and have it ready to swap back in when the donor 4.0L in the TJ takes a dump.

Are you going to bring that ZJ back to the salvage yard? The yards around here would give you $300 for it.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
My buddy's TJ sounded just like that. This what the motor looked like once the head came off:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Nice quick swap!

You could just do a poor man's stroker on that 4.0L and you'll be good to go at a significantly less cost than a LS swap. You won't have to mess with anything, but the motor. The donor motor in the TJ could go 100k+ miles. Just take your time.
That's what I'm thinking.

Or, you could just rebuild that 4.0L to almost stock with cost effective improvements and have it ready to swap back in when the donor 4.0L in the TJ takes a dump.

Are you going to bring that ZJ back to the salvage yard? The yards around here would give you $300 for it.
I think we're going to strip the things we think we can sell and send it to the crusher for scrap value. My brother has a place we can store the parts while waiting to sell. I've got a guy on JU that wants the antenna, and I figure I can ebay the flywheel for $25-30. T-case for $150, Tranny for $300, D30 for $150, D35 for $100. Driveshafts for $50 each, etc.

Holy Accent Batman! :pirate:
Really?

Good work and on time, too! Nice! :beerchug:
:beerchug:

My buddy's TJ sounded just like that. This what the motor looked like once the head came off:

I can't imagine that engine was still running well without losing power, stumbling, or dropping oil pressure. I'm very interested to see what we find when we open it up. I certainly hope it's not that bad... that doesn't look rebuildable.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
I can't imagine that engine was still running well without losing power, stumbling, or dropping oil pressure. I'm very interested to see what we find when we open it up. I certainly hope it's not that bad... that doesn't look rebuildable.
He drove thousands of miles with it like that. Oil pressure gauge didn't really change and it only barely down on power. 33's with stock gearing didn't really matter. It went from slow as shit, to slightly worse.

I wonder where it went :puzzled:
Massive chunks in the oil pan.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
He drove thousands of miles with it like that. Oil pressure gauge didn't really change and it only barely down on power. 33's with stock gearing didn't really matter. It went from slow as shit, to slightly worse.

Massive chunks in the oil pan.
WTF? You can see the water jacket where the cylinder wall is missing, how the fawk could that thing run? Seems like the engine would fill up the crank case with antifreeze.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Hmmm.... Maybe it is the original motor then. Other than the requisite leaks, it doesn't use any. Like maybe 1/4 qt in about 5000 miles. And no, there doesn't appear to be any evidence of coolant (I had the oil analyzed a while back after I bought it).

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
WTF? You can see the water jacket where the cylinder wall is missing, how the fawk could that thing run? Seems like the engine would fill up the crank case with antifreeze.
Got the exact story from him. He said it made a little knock/loud ticking noise for a couple thousand miles. Then it changed to a loud knock and he lost some power. He drove like that for ~1200 miles. Still had good oil pressure. Never changed the oil or anything in the 1200 miles.

Hubjeep

:hub: :hub2:
Ultra-Premium
:beerchug:

Rear main removal & installation wasn't bad.
REALLY?!?!? Engine on a stand, turned over it should have been a fawking joy to do! :pirate: :pirate: :D :D

Come do my Rear Main seal next :beerchug:
Pull motor and put on stand first. :D

I was concerned that they'd hit and be damaged, so I usually ran the stock size.
I run teh Mopar ones from Wal-Mart, nicely constructed and inexpensive. Teh number ends in a 90.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
REALLY?!?!? Engine on a stand, turned over it should have been a fawking joy to do! :pirate: :pirate: :D :D
Beats laying on your back under the Jeep with oil dripping in your face while trying to get the punch on the metal spine of the seal. That's for sure!

Pull motor and put on stand first. :D
This!

Taz

SORRY N SHIT!
VIP
That reminds me, are you replacing the three O rings for the filter adapter? When the motor is out its super easy to do. You need a T60 torx, and breaker bar. Do it now if you haven't.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
That reminds me, are you replacing the three O rings for the filter adapter? When the motor is out its super easy to do. You need a T60 torx, and breaker bar. Do it now if you haven't.
Didn't on the ZJ engine. Will do on the TJ engine since I'm thinking about getting a ZJ/XJ filter adapter.