• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TJ Engine Replacement Project

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
Didn't on the ZJ engine. Will do on the TJ engine since I'm thinking about getting a ZJ/XJ filter adapter.
Interesting. That would have been my number one thing to do on the zj engine. For $8 or whatever it is its well worth it. And will take you 10 minutes instead of 3 hours.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Interesting. That would have been my number one thing to do on the zj engine. For $8 or whatever it is its well worth it. And will take you 10 minutes instead of 3 hours.
Was not aware it even existed...

Taz

SORRY N SHIT!
VIP
When i swapped the '97 ZJ 4.0 in to my friends '00 XJ that was on my TO DO list. Literally 10 mins on a stand & $8 from Mopar. I was not going to attempt it after it was swapped in.

I cant remember the PN's off my head but do a search, i was directed to a thread on NAXJA w the Mopar PN's

chris142

Left the Monestry.
VIP
Beats laying on your back under the Jeep with oil dripping in your face while trying to get the punch on the metal spine of the seal. That's for sure!

This!
Loosen all the mains a couple of turns. This allows the crank to drop just enough to get the seal out w/o any force needed.

Reactions: Taz

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Loosen all the mains a couple of turns. This allows the crank to drop just enough to get the seal out w/o any force needed.
I cracked all of the mains loose then tapped gently on the top side of the flywheel end of the crank to get it to drop down.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Lots of drivers are dicks. Not sure I'd rank Corvette owners any higher than BMW owners. I'd argue that more people think they're special because they drive a BMW than because they drive a Corvette.

Lots of drivers are dicks. Not sure I'd rank Corvette owners any higher than BMW owners. I'd argue that more people think they're special because they drive a BMW than because they drive a Corvette.
jeremy clarkson said somthing along these lines on the M3:

'fantastic car owned exclusively by douces'

lol...

i'll admit, i like um and would own one...

Chevtech

Secret forklift mechanic
I worked at the Chevrolet dealership in Salt Lake...Corvette owners are ALL enormous douche bags.

:bday:

I worked at the Chevrolet dealership in Salt Lake...Corvette owners are ALL enormous douche bags.

:bday:
how did that compare to your employment at the BMW dealership and your dealings with the BMW M3 owners group?

for what it is worth, the folks bringing their car to the dealer are likely the bigger douches. there are MANY vette owners that NEVER bring their vettes to dealers so you are dealing with a biased statistic.

Chevtech

Secret forklift mechanic
how did that compare to your employment at the BMW dealership and your dealings with the BMW M3 owners group?

for what it is worth, the folks bringing their car to the dealer are likely the bigger douches. there are MANY vette owners that NEVER bring their vettes to dealers so you are dealing with a biased statistic.

LOl...I'm sure M3 owners are just a rosy pile of wonderfullness.

:spinonhead:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
My intention is to rebuild the old/original 4.0 and to use this one on a temporary (4-6 month basis) to get me through the winter with a 4wd, so I really wasn't thinking about pulling the head on this engine. What's involved with valve seals?
4 years and 27k miles later..... :panic: :jump:

In fairness, I wasn't expecting to buy a shitheap foreclosure, fix it, sell it, move in with mom, buy land, start building, etc.

Maybe I can actually do the rebuild once the house & shop are built and I have a new (to me) truck. :clapping:

That reminds me, are you replacing the three O rings for the filter adapter? When the motor is out its super easy to do. You need a T60 torx, and breaker bar. Do it now if you haven't.
I ended up having to do this in 2013 or 2014. I'm still losing oil to consumption, but I don't think it's leaking anywhere. The engine is remarkably dry for being a POS in a brokedick 272k mile TJ....

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
4 years and 27k miles later..... :panic: :jump:

In fairness, I wasn't expecting to buy a shitheap foreclosure, fix it, sell it, move in with mom, buy land, start building, etc.

Maybe I can actually do the rebuild once the house & shop are built and I have a new (to me) truck. :clapping:

I ended up having to do this in 2013 or 2014. I'm still losing oil to consumption, but I don't think it's leaking anywhere. The engine is remarkably dry for being a POS in a brokedick 272k mile TJ....
Hard to believe this thing is still running. Doesn't hold oil pressure at idle. Was making a lot of noise the other day and found it almost 2qt low on oil. 9years and 50k miles. Maybe shop will get built next year and I can start thinking about a LS swap.

Edit: the smarter move would be to rebuild the original 4.0 on the cheap and probably get another 20 years of service out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: gcb

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
I have a loose plan for my 4.0. When it takes a dump I’m going to stroke it. It’s got about 110k on it now and runs like a top. If I can get another 100+k out of it I will be extremely satisfied. Right now it averages 3-5k per year. It hasn’t been my daily driver for ~8 years. It gets Mobil 1 synthetic and mopar filters. I try to stick to OEM parts when available.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
I have a loose plan for my 4.0. When it takes a dump I’m going to stroke it. It’s got about 110k on it now and runs like a top. If I can get another 100+k out of it I will be extremely satisfied. Right now it averages 3-5k per year. It hasn’t been my daily driver for ~8 years. It gets Mobil 1 synthetic and mopar filters. I try to stick to OEM parts when available.
110K is just barely broken in. 300K on mine right now. M1 10-40 and Motorcraft FL1A filters.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
110K is just barely broken in. 300K on mine right now. M1 10-40 and Motorcraft FL1A filters.
That’s what I’m hoping for. I use mopar filters and 10-30 Mobil1. I did notice the other day that the valve cover gasket is leaking. I have the fel pro gasket waiting to go in once I get some time to dick around with it.