• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TJ Engine Replacement Project

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Got the oil pan off. Spent some time inspecting the bottom end tonight, then cleaned up all of the currently exposed gasket surfaces.

I also dug a bunch of crud out of the intake runners. Made sure the valve was closed then scraped it out with a pick and blew the resulting trash out with the air compressor. Lots of buildup that I think was due to oil leaking between the intake and head from the valve cover. Exhaust runners didn't show much, if any buildup.

Oil pan has a little trash in it. Ran a magnet around in there and didn't really pick up much at all. The rods don't appear to have any play in them, but they do have a slight bit of play side to side along the crank. I think I remember reading that this was normal. They all feel about the same in that respect. None of the cylinders show any visible wear from the bottom of the piston when at TDC on each individual piston. The bores look good to me. You can actually see the original hone marks.

I'm starting to think this may be a pretty decently maintained engine.

Tomorrow we'll pull the harmonic damper and replace the timing cover gasket before buttoning it back up. Will probably clean up the outside of the block a bit as well since it's still greasy.

Magnet won't pick up non-ferrous metals, though you likely know that... New engines rods have some side to side play on the crank. Normal... The repair manual should list the tolerance.

I think you'll be fine with this engine...

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Magnet won't pick up non-ferrous metals, though you likely know that... New engines rods have some side to side play on the crank. Normal... The repair manual should list the tolerance.

I think you'll be fine with this engine...
Good point on the metal. I think the majority of the trash is just sludge buildup though. I'm feeling more comfortable with it now that I've looked inside.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Were you able to grab some of the junk out of the bottom end? Mash it around in between your thumb and fingers under water and in a well lit area. Look for bright brass specks. You'll see it on your fingers.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Were you able to grab some of the junk out of the bottom end? Mash it around in between your thumb and fingers under water and in a well lit area. Look for bright brass specks. You'll see it on your fingers.
Mash. Nice.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Yea, it's still in the pan. Will pan for "gold" tomorrow.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Rear main is out. Heading to the parts store for RTV, assembly lube, puller and installer.

edit: and beer... the mini-fridge is almost empty.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Rear main removal & installation wasn't bad.

Cracked the thermostat housing when installing it. Had to buy a new one. Also broke one of the studs on the crank bearing cap bolts that holds the splash shield on. Ended up just leaving that one off.

Engine is on the hoist ready to go. My friend is coming by at 8:30 in the AM with his truck to take it to the shop for me. My brother and another friend are meeting me there to do the swap starting at 9am.

:doomed:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Come do my Rear Main seal next :beerchug:
I think it could be done in the vehicle fairly easily, assuming you can drop the pan. I don't think the pan in the TJ can clear the aftermarket header, but I'm not sure. My TJ's oil pan has a massive dent in it. Will have to get that replaced when I do the rebuild.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
I think it could be done in the vehicle fairly easily, assuming you can drop the pan. I don't think the pan in the TJ can clear the aftermarket header, but I'm not sure. My TJ's oil pan has a massive dent in it. Will have to get that replaced when I do the rebuild.
Y'ALL NEED THAT DEEP SUMP SHIT SO YOU CAN PARK LIKE HUB DOES WHEN Y'ALL GO TO THE MALL

gcb

VIP
What do you use the Rotella in?

And for the love of God, please use a decent oil filter from now on. Fram is the biggest piece of crap in the world.

Cardboard =/= Quality

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium

And for the love of God, please use a decent oil filter from now on. Fram is the biggest piece of crap in the world.

Cardboard =/= Quality
Rotella in errthang :paper:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP

Cardboard =/= Quality
I don't generally run Fram. I've been using Mobile 1 10w30 and Mobile 1 filters on the TJ since I bought it. I bought the Rotella and a Napa filter that was suggested to me in the lifter noise thread with the intention of changing the oil in the TJ since it was due. When it was obvious that the knock with a rod, I changed it with Quaker State and a cheap filter instead of the $50 worth of synthetic and decent filter.

The ZJ engine is getting the Fram filter (cheap) and the shop's bulk oil for the first week (and some Seafoam towards the end of the week). I happened to remember that the PH8A is the oversized fit for the 4.0, so I went with it. It'll get the Rotella & Napa/Wix filter after the first week.

My thought is to treat it like a rebuild or fresh engine since it's been open.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
I don't generally run Fram. I've been using Mobile 1 10w30 and Mobile 1 filters on the TJ since I bought it. I bought the Rotella and a Napa filter that was suggested to me in the lifter noise thread with the intention of changing the oil in the TJ since it was due. When it was obvious that the knock with a rod, I changed it with Quaker State and a cheap filter instead of the $50 worth of synthetic and decent filter.

The ZJ engine is getting the Fram filter (cheap) and the shop's bulk oil for the first week (and some Seafoam towards the end of the week). I happened to remember that the PH8A is the oversized fit for the 4.0, so I went with it. It'll get the Rotella & Napa/Wix filter after the first week.

My thought is to treat it like a rebuild or fresh engine since it's been open.
I would not put seafoam in the oil. If you did that to the TJ its probably what caused your rod bearing to let go in the first place.