• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TJ Engine Replacement Project

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I would not put seafoam in the oil. If you did that to the TJ its probably what caused your rod bearing to let go in the first place.
I did that after the knocking was evident, thinking it was a stuck lifter.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
As far as Seafoam goes, I've always been told if you put Seafoam in the motor oil, you better only start it up and run it for a couple of minutes, shut it down and change the oil. We did that to my stepfather's POS Chevy 1-ton. It had a knock and we though it was carbon build-up.

After the 4.2L's long block rebuild, I ran Marvel Mystery Oil in both the oil and the first tank of fuel. That was a hell of a motor after the rebuild. I should have never sold that motor when doing the GMPP motor swap.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I may skip the Seafoam. I was thinking it might help get the baked on dino oil off of the internals, but the next oil change interval with Synthetic may do just that. My main concern is getting an early oil change to get out any trash that may have been introduced into the engine while we were working on it.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Mileage on the TJ OTW to the shop this morning.

Got started about 9:30 this morning.

Had the engine out by noon:

Swapped over the motor mounts and accessories:

Back in by about 2 or 3:

Only issue is that my brother took off the charcoal canister and I ca't figure out where this hose went. Couldn't find it anywhere.

After about a half hour trying to figure out why it was missing I found that I had mixed up two of the plug wires. After that it was running fine. Pulls hard, no smoke that I could detect. No noise. May actually have a bit more power than the original engine had.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Thx. Was a really long day. I'll remember that when I plan on the rebuild swap.... gonna certainly wait until next summer or fall, especially if this engine runs well, doesn't use oil, and doesn't leak.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Thx. Was a really long day. I'll remember that when I plan on the rebuild swap.... gonna certainly wait until next summer or fall, especially if this engine runs well, doesn't use oil, and doesn't leak.
Quick swap. No project of mine goes that fast. Price out that rebuild stroker motor and you'll see your coming close to ls swap money.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Wish I had the funds to do an LS swap. Not going to happen unless I find issues with the 4.3 I already have bolted in.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Quick swap. No project of mine goes that fast. Price out that rebuild stroker motor and you'll see your coming close to ls swap money.
Going to bring the engine home on Monday and start taking it down. Once I've got it apart, I'll start shopping around for machine work.

Here's a video on the TJ prior to the swap. Drove it to the shop this morning and made a quick video of the noise it was making.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
To be fair, I credit the success to my help & the shop. My brother and his roommate that work at the shop helped big time. Also had another friend come help for the day, and yet another friend that helped me transport the engine between the shop and my garage and back. I imagine it would have taken substantially more time to do in my own garage. It was really a blessing to have a lift.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Good job. Did the oil filter mounting cause issues? I see it's different on both engines.

:beerchug:
:beerchug:

Oil filter mounting didn't cause any issues, though I admit it was on when I installed the engine. Didn't notice it looking too tight to get off. I think if anything, it'll be a little more space with this layout. When I used the larger filters (PH8A / M1-301) size on the original engine that they came extremely close to the frame rail. I was concerned that they'd hit and be damaged, so I usually ran the stock size.

Didn't really look at it. I wonder if I can swap the oil filter mount to the other engine when I get it rebuilt.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
When I used the larger filters (PH8A / M1-301) size on the original engine that they came extremely close to the frame rail
Buddy had a problem on a CJ... wasn't too large a filter, something about the motor mount was installed wrong. A little torque, engine twisted... and oil was everywhere.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Buddy had a problem on a CJ... wasn't too large a filter, something about the motor mount was installed wrong. A little torque, engine twisted... and oil was everywhere.
I ran them for a bit without any issue. Couldn't tell that they hit at all, but it was pretty close and wouldn't have taken much flex.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I have to wonder if the engine in my XJunk is original. While I had it on the lift I noticed numbers on the block which remind me of those written on with a paint pen by junkyards.

It's a 2k which could easily mean somebody cracked the head, overheated and ended up replacing the engine.

Only lost 1/3 qt in about 4500 miles though so I'm not unhappy.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If you look at the picture with both engines, you'll see that they both have paint markings of some sort on the side. I sincerely doubt that my TJ has ever had the engine out before, but I suppose it could have happened in the first 30k...

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Thanks. I intend on having the oil pan off the original engine Monday. After I know what I'm dealing with, I'll start shopping for machine work and a 4.2 crank. Will probably go with one of the 4.6L strokers with the 4.2 crank and 4.0 rods. The difference in cost for a full rebuild vs a budget stroker really is minimal since I was expecting to have to bore it and get oversized pistons as well as a new cam and lifters.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I have to wonder if the engine in my XJunk is original. While I had it on the lift I noticed numbers on the block which remind me of those written on with a paint pen by junkyards.
i had a 4.0 that was pulled from an XJ and it had the same kind of marking on it. yellow, i think. pops will be here tomorrow, maybe i will ask him if he remembers if they came into the plant that way.