• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

vBulletin version

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
What version is this? It doesn't say so in the footer like other forums I visit does...

Another vBulletin forum I visit (3.8.5) doesn't do a good job of keeping track of which threads users have read and which ones they have not.

Using the "new posts" link, it will show you a lot of threads.... Dont open them, but go away for an hour... Hit "new posts" again and it will say none or only a few... It assumes all of them are read.

Is this something specific to the vBulletin version? Or is it some sort of setting? Or something you've just fixed on your own since JUOT works as I expect it to, and this other forum does not.

kthxbai

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
This is version 3.8.7 but the issue you refer to is likely due to an Admin setting.

In the Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

They probably have the default "Inactivity/Cookie Based" which depends on cookies to determine what you have read or not.

We use the more robust, but somewhat more server intensive, "Database (automatic forum marking)" which stores what threads/posts have been read in the database.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
This is version 3.8.7 but the issue you refer to is likely due to an Admin setting.

In the Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

They probably have the default "Inactivity/Cookie Based" which depends on cookies to determine what you have read or not.

We use the more robust, but somewhat more server intensive, "Database (automatic forum marking)" which stores what threads/posts have been read in the database.