• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Who wants a huge pile of Minolta?

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
I've decided to make the big swtich--I'm going to digital with my main SLR rig. Despite the time and money I put into getting this all together, I found over the last several years I really haven't been using them much for everyday picture-taking. Keeping a collection like this around for purely special occasions doesn't make a lot of sense for an amature, so that's why I'm changing over. My loss is your gain, as the cliche goes.

So, what's in this collection? Five bodies, seven lenses, four flashes, four cases, and many accessories. Here's the breakdown:

Bodies:

Minolta Maxxum 7000 body, with:
Program Back 70
Extended AA battery grip RB-70

Minola Maxxum 7000 body, with:
Standard back
Standard AAA grip

Minolta Maxxum 7000i body, with:
Accessory base AB-700

Minolta Maxxum 3000 body

Minolta Maxxum 3000 body

Lenses:

Minolta AF 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5, lightweight
**SOLD**Minotla AF 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 Macro, metal mount**SOLD**
Minotla AF 35-80mm f/4-5.6, metal mount
**SOLD**Minolta AF 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6, lightweight**SOLD**
**SOLD**Minolta 50mm f/1.7 metal mount**SOLD**
**SOLD**Minolta 50mm f/1.7 metal mount**SOLD**
Quantaray 35-80mm f/4-5.6, lightweight

Flashes:

Minolta 2800AF for orignial x000 series
Minolta 2800AF for original x000 series
Zykkor AF zoom for most Maxxum mounts
Minolta D 314i for 3000i

Cases:

Minolta soft case
Minolta long-snout everready for 7000i
Minolta everready for 7000
Lower half of 3000i everready
Minolta case for 314i flash

Accessories:

Straps for most bodies, most Minolta bran
RC-1000L remote trigger
Body and lens caps
Manuals and other paperwork for most lenses and bodies
A few batteries

As far as the condition, physically almost everything is in great shape. Normal dust here and there. The two 7000s have slight bleed on the info screen, but considering the common level it's minimal. One of them has brassing and wear on the corners. The 7000i's manual focus switch won't hold in manual. This is a problem for this whole model range and can be fixed with a small latch. I never bothered. The 3000is are excellent. The lightweight Minolta 35-70 zoom and the Quantaray (has some fungus starting) are heavily used, but still functional. The others are in very good condition. All the accessories are lightly used.

Now, I haven't taken pictures with most of these in a _very_ long time. The last time was probably one of the 3000is possibly two-four years ago. At the times I last used these they worked well, but I can't make any promises about their present exposure abilities. All of them appear to work well (except as noted) without film. If you have unusual trouble I'll try and work with you.

Asking $500 for the entire lot. All the lenses and some of the accessories will work with Minolta/Sony Alpha digital SLRs, so there's a lot of remaining utility in these things. Average going rates on the 50mm lenses are around $100-150 each at the present time, for example.

I would consider trades for a Nikon D1 or similar large DSLR, depending on details.

Last edited:

Nadeaux

Why not go with a Minolta DSLR or do they not make one that is compatible with older glass?

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
Doesn't Sony work with them as well?
Sony bought Minolta's Digital Maxxum line. Yes, they should be compatible with any Minolta AF lens. One reason I'm not buying a Sony Alpha is that I have a very little investment in Minolta glass and other platforms offer more available gear these days. I'm going with an old Nikon D1 or D1H in the short term. Always was a fan of heavy-duty Nikons, used to have a hardon for the F5 when it came out in 1994 or whenever.

A lot of older lenses will start showing hair-like lines on the inner elements. That cheap Quantaray is the only one I have doing that.