• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

WinTV / PC network-based video services

MODS: Please don't move to Jeep Geeks. The smarter geeks hang out in OT.

Anyone else watching TV on their computer? I've got an older WinTV card from Happauge... ran S-video from a Dish receiver along with stereo audio. Not bad on a 17" LCD screen, lets me keep a TV in my home office without taking up space.

I'm considering a long-term project that would involve a server in my wiring closet with > 250Gb storage (maybe up to 1Tb?), and diskless workstations (MX mobos) as set-top boxes on the 4 sets in the house... I would run MythTV on Linux as opposed to that over-priced Microsoft XP Media Center edition, and essentially have a system where all of my DVDs would be saved to computer, and every TV in the house could be used as a PVR, and any TV in the house could be used to play back what was recorded - no matter which set was used to record.

I've already got Cat5e wired to every TV, and a Gig switch in the wiring closet. I'm looking at the Happauge 350 PVR card (it has an MPEG-2 hardware encoder) for the set top boxes.

Anybody else done anything crazy like this? I figure most of us are the kind of people that would lift a perfectly good Jeep 4", we're probably the same kind of people that would do shiat like this.

skeptic [JU]

Archived
I have been running MythTV on my main desktop for a couple years and have been happy with it. I intend to switch to a laptop for my main computer and make the desktop dedicated MythTV center.

As you probably already know, MythTV is far more than just a free Tivo. Music. DVD player. Other movies. Weather forcasting and radar images. Web Browsing. M.A.M.E. and other games...

twylie [JU]

Archived
I'm doing almost exactly what you're describing... 60,000 songs, 300 hour PVR and 100's of videos to various TV's, audio systems, and PC's in the house. As bad as I wanted to use Myth (I was using KnoppMyth), I found a mix of other solutions to be more reliable and easy to use. For video capture, I'm using the PVR-350, plus another 250 waiting for the new house when I rebuild some of this stuff. Storage is a large RAID5 box. I've been through a fair bit of hardware to find something that works for me. PM me and I'll share what worked and didn't.