• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

JEEP is at the Dr.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
That is shockingly cheap. I would have expected that price for just the RMS.
No, that was for 2 leaf packs, the bushings (which I pressed in) and installation. Actually looking at the springs and bushings, they were $225, labor for installation was $150 but that included them welding in a new lower shock stud that I broke off being over zealous with an impact driver. The quote on the RMS turned out to be $400 which I decided to put off for another day or tackle it myself...

Last edited:

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
No, that was for 2 leaf packs, the bushings (which I pressed in) and installation. Actually looking at the springs and bushings, they were $225, labor for installation was $150 but that included them welding in a new lower shock stud that I broke of being over zealous with an impact driver. The quote on the RMS turned out to be $400 which I decided to put off for another day or tackle it myself...
With no lift and donut spares for tires, RMS will be a bitch. You may even have to pull the whole front axle if you can't get enough droop.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
With no lift and donut spares for tires, RMS will be a bitch. You may even have to pull the whole front axle if you can't get enough droop.
Good info, when I was talking about it at the shop the Mechanic was making some interesting gestures about doing the RMS. :jump:

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
Good info, when I was talking about it at the shop the Mechanic was making some interesting gestures about doing the RMS. :jump:
I bet. I have pulled a couple 4.0L pans and with no lift I wouldn't attempt it without a shop lift in the garage. If not pulling the axle, you will really have to disconnect everything and get that f'er to droop FAR on both sides IIRC. I think the haynes and factory manuals actually say to remove the front housing completely.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I bet. I have pulled a couple 4.0L pans and with no lift I wouldn't attempt it without a shop lift in the garage. If not pulling the axle, you will really have to disconnect everything and get that f'er to droop FAR on both sides IIRC. I think the haynes and factory manuals actually say to remove the front housing completely.
I'm going to look at the front end and determine if anything else needs done and try to encompass that into the RMS. I have a BB on the front, probably at the very least put some new springs in...

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Friggin Haynes manual tells you to do a lot of extra steps that aren't necessary.

Jack it up and put stands under the unibody rails.
Disconnect -
-shocks
-Sway bar end links
-Drag link from steering box

Let 'er droop. You *might* need to also unbolt brake calipers.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Friggin Haynes manual tells you to do a lot of extra steps that aren't necessary.
I love those damn things.

remove power steering pump
flush cooling system and remove radiator
remove all four wheels
remove passenger side front fender
remove left rear seat and place it on the ground facing backwards
sand paint off of rear hatch
change radio station to 92.9

...seems like a lot to do for an air filter change, but the book says it so I guess I have to :shrug:

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I love those damn things.

remove power steering pump
flush cooling system and remove radiator
remove all four wheels
remove passenger side front fender
remove left rear seat and place it on the ground facing backwards
sand paint off of rear hatch
change radio station to 92.9

...seems like a lot to do for an air filter change, but the book says it so I guess I have to :shrug:

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
No, that was for 2 leaf packs, the bushings (which I pressed in) and installation. Actually looking at the springs and bushings, they were $225, labor for installation was $150 but that included them welding in a new lower shock stud that I broke off being over zealous with an impact driver. The quote on the RMS turned out to be $400 which I decided to put off for another day or tackle it myself...
:bump: