• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

2014 Grand Cherokee Recall

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Chrysler recalls 184,215 Dodge and Jeep SUVs

Chrysler Group is recalling 184,215 crossover SUVs because the component that controls that air bags may be faulty.

The occupant restraint control module may not work in certain 2014 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs, Chrysler warns. The component can be disabled by internal electrical short-circuits. If that happens, the air-bag warning lamps will illuminate, Chrysler says. Owners should take that as a signal that supplemental restraint systems, such as air bags and seat-belt pretensioners, may be disabled.

Chrysler says it doesn't know of any injuries or accidents due to the faulty module.

Since only some vehicles from the 2014 model year are affected, Chrysler says it will tell customers when they bring their vehicles into dealers for service. That's when they will install a new module.

Of the vehicles covered by the recall, 126,772 are in the U.S., 8,106 are in Canada, 3,722 are in Mexico and the rest were sold in other countries around the world.
:fyi:

Ralph

VIP
Yeah they were so much more reliable before the merger. :rotflmao:
I miss the Chrysler with the attitude they had in the 90s before Daimler came along and ****ed things up. They were putting out damn decent vehicles for the time then.

John

Transplant
VIP
Daimler definitely ran them into the ground, but they weren't that great before then. I liked some of their vehicles but they weren't reliable.

Ralph

VIP
Daimler definitely ran them into the ground, but they weren't that great before then. I liked some of their vehicles but they weren't reliable.
They were no worse than GM or Ford. Again, I'm placing my comment in context. "For the time" is an important qualifier. Vehicle technology and reliability have grown by leaps and bounds in the last 25 years.

The 1g LH cars and JA cloud cars were nice vehicles, and I can't think of a better small car in 1995 than the Neon. I had several of all of those models, all were over 50-60k miles at time of purchase, and I had very little trouble with any of them.

John

Transplant
VIP
GM was more reliable than Chrysler. Ford probably was too but not by as much. Ford trucks were ok but the cars were hit or miss. I get what you are saying though, most 90s cars were junk.

The wife had a 98 Neon when I met her. It was a pile of shit. It was completely falling apart at 80k miles. It wasn't abused at all, it was regularly serviced, and they bought it new.Be traded it in for $1500, it needed several thousand in repairs.

Last edited:

Ralph

VIP
I can't believe I still have this pic

jjj
Nice.

I had at least 7 or 8 of them. My favorite was the blue stickshift '95 model. Again, never had a bit of major trouble with any of them :shrug: I think the worst thing that happened was a camshaft seal on one of them started to fail and leak a bit of oil. I remember it being an easy fix.

My Stratus, I got at 79k miles and drove to 110k. Worst problem there was an ignition module, and that was after I played deer golf with the car.

Back in the used car lot days we had more trouble with our GM vehicles than the Chryslers.

John

Transplant
VIP
The wife was in college and her parents had already dumped too much money into it fixing the blown head gasket and AC. It was time to cut their losses.

It was painfully slow too with the three speed auto.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
I wish I still had the stack of service records for my 2002 WJ. Chrysler probably spent $10,000 on warranty repairs before buying that thing back.

John

Transplant
VIP
I never added them up on my JK but it was out of hand. I should have kept the file.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
I wish I still had the stack of service records for my 2002 WJ. Chrysler probably spent $10,000 on warranty repairs before buying that thing back.
Never spent much on my '01, but probably could've with the ECM glitch issues it had. Easier just to trade it off when it was working and start fresh.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
I wound up with that nice '04 Limiturd. For a Chrysler shitpile, it was pretty nice. Had lots of extra shit to break. At least those bells and whistles did occasionally work.

Actually, the '04 was generally a good vehicle.

my family has owned over the years what amounts to a fleet of Chrysler products....there have been very few major repairs. I think the '90 Imperial gave my dad the most trouble, but it nothing that caused him to dump it before they ran out the life in it.

He still has the neon he bought to tow behind the motorhome. Probably the best kept lowest mileage neon left on the road.

Even my Cerberus era caliber has been a largely reliable car. It recently coughed up a throttle body but that was an easy fix.

John

Transplant
VIP
I wound up with that nice '04 Limiturd. For a Chrysler shitpile, it was pretty nice. Had lots of extra shit to break. At least those bells and whistles did occasionally work.

Actually, the '04 was generally a good vehicle.
I loved my 04 WJ. That's the Jeep I should have kept.