• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

3D printing

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
I know squat about 3D printing places. Can I take a piece of plastic (an interior car trim part) and ask them to recreate it? The one I have is complete but cracked.

Is that how 3D printing places operate?

John

Transplant
VIP
I think so, that’s how I see it on car restoration shows, but that’s tv.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Yeah, in this case the piece is no longer made... so I could have a batch of them and sell them. Not going to make me rich, but might at least pay for itself.

Correct, if they have, or can create, a model of it. Since you have the cracked part they should be able to scan it.

I've kinda sorta wanted a 3d printer for ~20 years. I still don't have one because 1 - not cheap for something decent enough to really be useful, and 2 - I don't really have a need. Every once in a while I something comes up where I think one would be handy but there is always an alternative. Might be fun to play with though.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I’d think your best bet is what Mark suggested. They’ll need to scan the part first. It’s not gonna be cheap. You’ll want to make sure they can use a material and color that would match too.

This is random… I was in a room with 30 3D printers this afternoon. The CFO of an engineering firm called me and asked me to come see her print setup and see if I could build a remote room for 120 of the identical 3D printers the company runs. They look like an array of cubes. I built their 40ksf facility here. Their printers are smaller, like 2’ cubes. They 3D print cities and run wind analytics on their models.