• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Ausini - Desert Eagle AKA Super Gun (P22512) Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available on eBay
Price: ~$20
Ausini #: P22512

Pieces: 373
Rating:
:4stars: (Weak trigger design, top has tendency to fall off in heavy play)

The Desert Eagle is one of the largest pistols or hand guns in the world. I'm not a gun expert by any means but you may be familiar with this model if you ever played Call of Duty 2, I know that is where I first took notice.

I purchased this because it was the smallest (cheapest) of a number of replica guns being sold on eBay that are made of Lego compatible bricks. They all come from China or Hong Kong and seemingly are all made by the same company- a company that no seller seems to name.

[Update - July 20, 2014 - I have found out the brand name to be Ausini.]

It took a lot of internet sleuthing but I finally found the box pictured above (most eBay sellers do not ship it in the box to save on expensive international shipping fees.) However as you can see there is no English name. There does appear to be a brand name but it is in some flavor of Chinese.

The truth is the brand name is not that important. What I can tell you after receiving the set and the instructions is that I strongly suspect these bricks are made by BricTek or WOMA. I say this because the instructions included the useful "stud count" next to long bricks (like 2x8, or 2x10) that both the BricTek and WOMA include.

The good news is that BricTek and WOMA have been among the best overall non-Lego bricks and sets I have encountered. This set was no exception. The brick quality was excellent. Not that I have a real one to compare it to but looking at pictures the replica looks very much like a real Desert Eagle.

Included with the bricks to build the gun is also a simple stand to make showing it off easy.

01-IMG_1646.JPG

Note - the red brick on the end of the barrel is my own personal addition- it is not included in the set but is technically necessary on any toy gun in New York City- just trying to keep things legal.

02-IMG_1641.JPG 03-IMG_1644.JPG

You can certainly hold it like a gun. The trigger moves but doesn't do anything. The assembly around the trigger is relatively weak and is the the worst part of the design- I would have preferred something a bit more sturdy.

04-IMG_1652.jpg 05-IMG_1653.jpg 06-IMG_1651.JPG

The top of the gun is designed to slide back and forth like it would on the real thing- this makes it a bit loose and if you're not careful it will fall off. Definitely can't pistol-whip anyone with this- probably a good thing.

07-IMG_1655.jpg

Also has a removable "magazine." It is simply solid bricks, no bullets in this gun, fake or otherwise.

Real enough you do not want to be walking around the street with these, especially in a city like New York were legal gun ownership is almost non-existent. Definitely not for children- but great for an adult's collection.

I opted not to put the stickers on but it did come with some- mostly along the grip and also two that said "Super Gun" meant for either side of the barrel. You can see the intended setup in this eBay auction's photo:

08-x_12.JPG

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Important note - If anyone is familiar with the book Lego Heavy Weapons by Jack Streat which includes plans for a Lego build Desert Eagle- this is not the design from the book. Jack's design is completely different, and frankly, looks more study. I do hope to build his design on day once I am sure I have the necessary bricks.