• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Bric Tek Airport Areobus Passenger Transportation Airplane - 11504 Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available at Amazon, eBay.
Price: $30 - $50
BricTek #: 11504

Pieces: 434
Rating:
:4stars: (Lost credit for being too easy and some issues with instructions.)

This is a huge plane. It is about 23 inches long and the wingspan is about the same. To put it in perspective it is virtually twice as long as any other Lego or Lego-like planes I have. It is longer than the big Lego Space Shuttle (#10231) is tall.

brictek-11504-02.jpg

There are only 2 reasons this isn't a 5 star set and the main reason is it's just too simple to put together. The wings are one solid big piece. The big tail fin is one piece. The front cockpit is only 2 pieces. The rear is one big piece with a slot for the tail and a spot on either side for the horizontal fins. The roof and belly are 5 or 6 pre-formed pieces just joined together. It really only takes a couple minutes to get all the big pieces together. What you spend some time on is putting in the windows, the seats, and a bunch of 1x1 bricks between the windows.

The engines need to be built which is something. The landing gear are too big, at this scale they should be smaller. To me it looks a bit foolish to have a plane with such big wheels.

The second problem I had with this were the instructions. In some places it was difficult to tell whether it was calling for white bricks or light grey- and in some places it was wrong about the colors completely. Besides white and grey there was a step showing what appeared to be red bricks but after looking at the box art it was clear they meant to print dark grey.

brictek-11504-03.jpg

Those issues aside the positives of this set far outweigh the negatives. It comes with 5 mini-figures. The BricTek mini figures feel a bit larger than Lego mini-figures and honestly they are better designed. They have more freedom of movement. Wished the Captain had a hat though, he just has hair.

brictek-11504-04.jpg

The two vehicles help sell this as an Airport system rather just a single plane. The stairs truck is especially interesting. It would be nice if there was an actual door that opened on the plane to pull the stairs up to. There is no way to get to the inside of the plane with removing full sections of roof.

Overall the BricTek bricks are of excellent quality. They stick together as good as Lego and are fully compatible. You will have no problem mixing these with Lego if you so choose. Do note that with most non-Lego brands the injection molding mark is visible in the center of some studs so they aren't all uniformly solid like with Lego, but it does not seem to affect the use of the bricks.

Interesting to note while BricTek is the brand on the box and the manual the actual bricks are from WOMA and even have the WOMA logo on some parts.

brictek-11504-05.jpg

I must imagine they are produced in the same factory, or BricTek simply buys and rebrands from WOMA. In my limited experience with WOMA I have to say their brick quality was also excellent.

One final quirky part of this set. One of the mini-figures is supposed to have a radio and one of the travels a small bag or suitcase. I guess to make things easy/cheaper BricTek (or WOMA?) produces a single piece of plastic from which you can separate out various tools and equipment.

brictek-11504-06.jpg

It took a minute for me to realize the guns and hand-cuffs were not intended for use with this Airplane, they are just extra pieces used in other sets. Speaking of extra pieces this set had its fair share when all complete.

brictek-11504-07.jpg brictek-11504-08.jpg
brictek-11504-10.jpg brictek-11504-01.jpg
brictek-11504-09.jpg