• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Cobi Jeep Willys MD with Minigun (24113) Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available on Amazon, eBay.
Price:
Less than $20 (Hopefully)
Cobi #: 24113 (similar to 24112)
Pieces: Unspecified but estimated less than 100
Rating:
:3stars: (too simple, pre-molded pieces, weak wheels)

I love Legos and I love Jeeps so what better than a Jeep made out of Lego? Unfortunately much like my love for Star Trek and Lego, Lego, again, does not own the rights to produce authentic Jeep brand sets. Instead that privilege belongs to Cobi. I had not heard much about Cobi other than they are a European based company- their website is cobi.eu. Unfortunately, unlike Kre-o which did an amazing job on the Klingon Bird or Prey, Cobi did not bring honor to this Jeep Willys.

This biggest problem with this set is it is far too simple. Although the Jeep itself is of decent scale, enough to fit multiple mini-figures (but it only comes with one) the most interesting parts of the Jeep are pre-molded- you don't "build" this Jeep, you basically decorate it- it almost feels like there are more stickers than pieces. Many of the stickers I didn't bother to put on.

01-IMG_1147.JPG 02-IMG_1146.jpg

Some of the pieces you do get to build, like the tires, feel weak. The plastic pieces you are popping them onto feel weak- much weaker than a comparable Lego piece. The wheels also have some play in them, it almost looks like they are turning when they were not designed to turn at all.

Other than the tire issue all the other bricks seem to be a good quality and have excellent compatibility with standard Lego bricks in my (limited) testing. That alone was worth one full star of my 3 star rating.

03-IMG_1152.JPG

I bought this set for less than $20, shipped. Don't pay more than that. I am seeing Amazon prices of $85 and even $115 from absurd sellers. While this model may have been discontinued Cobi produces many other Jeep Willys models- all of similar size and I'm sure all put together the same way. This eBay link will actually show you many of the Jeep Willys sets they have.

Bottom line- if you love Jeeps you will need your fix- don't overpay- there are plenty of similar sets. This won't be one of my favorite sets but it's nic