• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

County permits & inspection records?

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Would the county retain any information regarding the location of a drain field and/or locations of drain tiles outside of the foundation of a house?

Would really like to pinpoint the exit location of a drain pipe for the floor drain in the basement without paying a plumber or having to dig up a large section of of the foundation.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
If plans for the house were required to be filed with the county, then yes, but otherwise, I would suggest no. Don't know how long municipalities hold on to building plans for which they issued permits though. There is more likely a record of the permit being issued for the build than there is a record of the blueprints on file, but I could be wrong.

I know that when a developer built next to my condo a few years back, he did have to submit all the plans to the County and I was able to get a copy for a small fee, but that was during construction. Like I said, not sure how long they would keep plans on file.

John

Transplant
VIP
Yeah, if permits were pulled. I have no idea how long they hold onto them for, but I'm sure it varies by municipality.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'm not sure if as-builts get filed back after the permits were initially pulled. The originals might give you a starting point, but as-builts are where things truly are.

RandyMolson

Close friend of Keyton
VIP
I can speak for PA. Around 1972, all house construction and expansions that used on-lot sewage disposal systems had to be permitted by DER/DEP-certified Sewage Enforcement Officers. A lot of houses built prior to 1972 were also so-permitted where the municipalities voluntarily participated in the program.

The SEO permitting program involves house/lot-specific design of the septic tank and drain field. The paperwork requires a hand sketch of these features, with respect to the house and any other nearby contraints such as trees, streams, outcrops and property lines. Sketch quality varies by SEO. Some are worthless, but some are quite accurate.

Unfortunately, the SEO paper trail is hard to track down in PA. The OLDS permits are not recorded at the court house or included in building permit paperwork. One copy goes to owner/builder, who often loses or discards it the first time the house is sold. Another copy is sent to a DEP regional office - good like finding that. Another copy is sent to the municipality with no archiving mandate to speak of, so finding their copies are spotty, takes a lot of work, and is not always accessible to a mere citizen. One copy goes in the personal files of the SEO, but SEOs are private contractors who drift, relocate, and retire; so there is no guaranty that a resident living in municipality XYZ can track down the SEO who permitted their house 30-years ago.

I would imagine that many states have such OLDS permitting programs. In PA, the best place to find that paperwork is in the folder of old papers/appliance manuals that are passed along during house sales. If not that lucky, go to municipality receptionist/clerk or planning department, and ask if they have a file of the OLDS permits or can identify the SEO who worked the area at the time your house was built.

Good luck.

RandyMolson

Close friend of Keyton
VIP
As a rule of thumb, the main house drain is usually centered with the septic tank and square with the house. Tis not smart to put bends in that pipe.

RandyMolson

Close friend of Keyton
VIP
When I bought my lake house, my house inspector was a dowser. He laid out the whole system including the drain field laterals. Marked them with little flags. I didn't even ask him to do it.

Stupid me should have taped-off the flags when I had the chance. The seller ended up pulling the flags to mow the lawn before I had the chance to document them. :bangtard: I have a general idea where things are anyway. Much bigger than I expected.

Big AL

Cool Dood.
Modern plumbers have a small transmitter that they push along the drain and then they can follow its path via a receiver on the surface so they can plot the path of the drain.

It should not be too expensive as it does not take long.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Sometimes it better to hire an expert rather than spend a week being a cheap ass. :2cents:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Sometimes it better to hire an expert rather than spend a week being a cheap ass. :2cents:
Plumber quoted $500 to break up the slab and remove the p-trap so he could run his pinger down to figure out where it showed up outside. If I can make a trip to the county office to see the plans, it's worth it to do so rather than paying the plumber to remove and replace the drain in the slab.