• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Enclosed porch/sunroom addition

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Broke ground Monday. Formed. Inspected. Concrete in today.

Total size is 12x18.

More pics as job progresses.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
This is off the master bedroom. It will be nice to not have people knock on the bedroom door when they come over.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Sounds nice. How long until it is finished?
Will be fully framed and weather-tight by early next week. Interior finishing will be slower as I get time.

And why off the master bedroom?
Because that is where we wanted it. Buffer between bedroom and outside world, some personal space away from kidlets, etc...

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP

Because that is where we wanted it. Buffer between bedroom and outside world, some personal space away from kidlets, etc...
hey now, don't be snarky- I was just being nosy as it is not the common spot for a sunroom and I was curious. :yup: Sounds like a nice retreat for the two of you and a perfect spot given the reasons.

theBucketeer

Your superior
We have something similar right off our breakfast nook. We have a walkout basement so ours replaced the deck, then we built an L-shaped deck around the room. Hot tub sits in a slab underneath it.

We actually use ours nearly year round. We had it insulated pretty well, so we can heat it up with space heaters in the winter. I set up shop out there sometimes when I work from home. Spring and fall are fabulous, and it's pretty comfortable in all except the hottest days of the summer since we live on a hill that always has a breeze.

No rednecks in my stretch of the woods, pals! :classy:

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
hey now, don't be snarky- I was just being nosy as it is not the common spot for a sunroom and I was curious. :yup: Sounds like a nice retreat for the two of you and a perfect spot given the reasons.
LOL...sorry, didn't mean for it to come off that way.:beerchug:

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Wood was all dropped Monday, windows and door yesterday. Contractor showed up today with framing guy to do the layout and found that the end of the slab by the french doors is only 4" past the edge of the door frame. So the 2x6 wall would overhang in front of the door opening. He also discovered that the slab was out of square - it is 18'3" at the house, and only 18' at the far end. So contractor is having the cement guy come back today and they are adding 6" to the slab at the house end increasing to 9" at the far end to move the wall and square it up. So room goes from 18' to 18'9" or so. Framing scheduled to commence on Friday.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
Wood was all dropped Monday, windows and door yesterday. Contractor showed up today with framing guy to do the layout and found that the end of the slab by the french doors....
If your windows and french doors are EnergyStar then you can get up to $500 tax credit.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
Wood was all dropped Monday, windows and door yesterday. Contractor showed up today with framing guy to do the layout and found that the end of the slab by the french doors is only 4" past the edge of the door frame. So the 2x6 wall would overhang in front of the door opening. He also discovered that the slab was out of square - it is 18'3" at the house, and only 18' at the far end. So contractor is having the cement guy come back today and they are adding 6" to the slab at the house end increasing to 9" at the far end to move the wall and square it up. So room goes from 18' to 18'9" or so. Framing scheduled to commence on Friday.
If you want something done right.....

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I thought the forms looked way too close to the door, bit thought it might have been designed that way.

Is your house painted black?