• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Floor Plan

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
In broad strokes this is what we're thinking we want:

3br, 2.5ba, main floor master, basement, covered front porch, screened rear porch, around 2000-2400sq-ft.

Looking at the land and bouncing things back and forth between myself and the builder we've come up with some thoughts on how the house should be laid out. The land will slope off from the left to the right. The left side will be towards the east with the morning sun hitting the left rear of the house. We also want to stay within a 28x40 box for the main walls of the house to keep the budget within our desired range.

With that in mind, it makes the most sense to have the garage off of the basement on the right side of the house. I'd prefer it on the main level, but it just makes sense to put it on the right in the basement. Likewise, that puts the dining area on the left rear so that you can have breakfast with some morning sun. That in turn places the master on the right, living room at the front left, and kitchen in the rear middle. The master bath and closets are over the garage and do not have a second floor above.

What we've come up with is a Cape Cod style layout with three dormers on the main roof. This is the fourth iteration of the first floor layout, if you don't include the hand sketches:

The next iteration will have the half bath moved to where the master bath water closet is, then a water closet moved where the "his" closet is. The kitchen is likely not perfected either. That's actually the hardest part because the stairs in the middle really wreck the flow and take up a lot of valuable space. Also need to look at the width of the section over the garage as the original idea was to have 6ft walls coming up to the roof line. That may move things around a bit..... like the doors opening against that outside wall and the vanity adjoining the outside wall.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Having had a 9x5 shower at the last place, I can say with some authority that 4x4 is all the shower I desire. Might change to 4x5 since 4x4 is too big for a water closet, and I can gain a foot in this version:

I'm actually thinking that the "storage or bonus" will actually be "his" in terms of my home office. Secluded enough that I don't have to keep it neat as it's unlikely that visitors will go in there. May also have a window at that end so that I can shoot out of it when I get bored surfing JU while "working".

Last edited:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Storage accessible through master only is not key. Even if an office. Looks like your wife is getting screwed in the closet department with that. Don't skimp on master closet size.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
Storage/Bonus looks like wasted sq footage. Pretty sure you can't swing the door in to a 4' toilet room.

Counter space looks pretty small in the kitchen.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Storage accessible through master only is not key. Even if an office. Looks like your wife is getting screwed in the closet department with that. Don't skimp on master closet size.
Storage/Bonus looks like wasted sq footage. Pretty sure you can't swing the door in to a 4' toilet room.

6x10 = screwed on closet space? Builder says to drywall a room in the basement for the office. Probably will just make that whole bonus/storage as closet.

Kitchen counter space leaves a little to be desired, I think.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
6x10 = screwed on closet space? Builder says to drywall a room in the basement for the office. Probably will just make that whole bonus/storage as closet.

Kitchen counter space leaves a little to be desired, I think.
6x10...I'd bet mine is that big or bigger and I have NOTHING in it, yet it's jam packed with a 4'11" woman's shit

Do it right once, and go bigger than you think you need.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Changed the master closet to "hers" and "hers" with "his" being a tiny thing off of the master behind the coat closet.

I think the total kitchen counter is about 27-28 liner feet, including the range. We could rearrange a bit, use up some of the mud room space, and put the fridge where the pantry is, but then you get into issues with the whole "work triangle" concept. Really the fridge should probably be a foot to the left to adhere to that idea.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Way too little counter space in the kitchen. Is that a butler's pantry next to the stairs (to the left of the stairs)?

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
Pretty sure your toilet in the master bath wont work. 48" deep room with a 30" inward swing door. The toilet will block that door.

If you're going to have more kiddos, room for a bench to take off boots/snow pants, etc. in the Laundry/mud room is quite convenient.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Ditch the door to the master closet

Take the 6x10 for yours, the big one for hers, eliminate that tiny little "his" closet (make it more for the entry closet I guess).

And I don't see the stripper pole, will that be in the basement?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Way too little counter space in the kitchen.
That's been the single hardest part to address if we keep the kitchen and stairs there. The builder is talking about an L shaped staircase as a solution to a couple concerns. That would open up the kitchen. Waiting on him to sketch the idea so I can see what he's talking about.

Is that a butler's pantry next to the stairs (to the left of the stairs)?
No. Way too small for that. Just a large closet for storing foodstuffs.

Pretty sure your toilet in the master bath wont work. 48" deep room with a 30" inward swing door. The toilet will block that door.
You're correct. IIRC, the toilet is 30" from the wall to the front. Might make the door swing outwards. The original 4x4 may be better if we want the door to swing inwards.

If you're going to have more kiddos, room for a bench to take off boots/snow pants, etc. in the Laundry/mud room is quite convenient.
Agreed, if it doesn't get cannibalized for more kitchen space.

I have seriously looked at these plans for 15 minutes, trying my hardest to find something i like, and i just don't like much of it at all. It would make it better for me if the kitchen were in the corner where the dining is, and the dining moved to where the kitchen is.

I have no suggestions for the master area, but i dislike it entirely.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
what if you expand the length of that 15'4" wall to allow for a deeper toilet room (and others)? Add a foot or two and that will really open the areas up

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
2 issues with the half bath; one is I don't like the pantry sharing a wall with a WC for when your guest clogs it after a holiday meal and the overflow now soaks that baseplate, and second I'd just put it under the stairs. Good use of an odd space, but usually plenty of room. Plus it expands the pantry, which will help living out in the sticks.

Get rid of HIS closet and turn that into entry closet. You take smaller of HERS and give her the big one.

Kitchen counter space is minimal, but worse is how few upper cabinets you'll have without blocking sight lines. Another reason to expand pantry.

also think of going with double width front door. Very handy when moving in or taking big deliveries. At least go with 36" entry door for handicap access in case it's ever needed. I know y'all are young now, but think about easy changes you can make in case this is where you choose to grow old. It's cheap now, and it'll also expand your market if you ever need to sell.

Seems like it's almost a decent layout, but just isn't working for me. The second layout is better, but I think I'd swap the kitchen and dining room. Make whatever is on the top left side of the stairs the pantry. Even then it still feels like it's wasting space, that's a big bedroom worth of "hers" closet space. I'd try to find a way to swap the 13'3" wide MBR area with the 15'4" tall closet area. More space in the MBR and no wasted hallway space in the closet.

wank

unknown entity
VIP

i'd like that myself. place for a small desk for household bills ect. and safe. to keep firearms/valuables locked and hidden away from kids/guests/workers.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I have seriously looked at these plans for 15 minutes, trying my hardest to find something i like, and i just don't like much of it at all. It would make it better for me if the kitchen were in the corner where the dining is, and the dining moved to where the kitchen is.

I have no suggestions for the master area, but i dislike it entirely.
Seems like it's almost a decent layout, but just isn't working for me. The second layout is better, but I think I'd swap the kitchen and dining room. Make whatever is on the top left side of the stairs the pantry. Even then it still feels like it's wasting space, that's a big bedroom worth of "hers" closet space. I'd try to find a way to swap the 13'3" wide MBR area with the 15'4" tall closet area. More space in the MBR and no wasted hallway space in the closet.

I don't think you can really dine in an area with a 8'10" width and a 32" door opening into it. Effectively that's like 5' wide for dining space... table... chairs... everything.

what if you expand the length of that 15'4" wall to allow for a deeper toilet room (and others)? Add a foot or two and that will really open the areas up
It's a 28ft wide basement with a roof angle of 12:12 which effectively makes the roof width 30ft and the floor width with 6' sides 16' wide. To widen that you either have walls that are shorter under the roofline, you widen the basement, and/or you move the roof out or up.

i'd like that myself. place for a small desk for household bills ect. and safe. to keep firearms/valuables locked and hidden away from kids/guests/workers.
My thoughts too. Basement room will do as well I suppose.

2 issues with the half bath; one is I don't like the pantry sharing a wall with a WC for when your guest clogs it after a holiday meal and the overflow now soaks that baseplate, and second I'd just put it under the stairs. Good use of an odd space, but usually plenty of room. Plus it expands the pantry, which will help living out in the sticks.
Stacked staircase to the basement = can't use the space under it. I'm less concerned with proximity to the pantry and more concerned with proximity to the kitchen. I'd prefer the half bath to be more private. Builder wants it closer to the master for shared/stacked plumbing. Makes it easier/cheaper for me, which is a plus since the budget is tight.

Get rid of HIS closet and turn that into entry closet. You take smaller of HERS and give her the big one.
Pretty much. More for my amusement than serious consideration.

Kitchen counter space is minimal, but worse is how few upper cabinets you'll have without blocking sight lines. Another reason to expand pantry.
That's pretty much my biggest issue with this layout. I'm thinking we may expand out the back a tad to make room for an island. We also have a large china cabinet and a number of such antiques in which to store stuff.

also think of going with double width front door. Very handy when moving in or taking big deliveries. At least go with 36" entry door for handicap access in case it's ever needed. I know y'all are young now, but think about easy changes you can make in case this is where you choose to grow old. It's cheap now, and it'll also expand your market if you ever need to sell.
Noted.