• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

JUOT Approved Gas Range?

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
During final walk...

Inspector: That range requires a Type 1 hood in non-combustible construction assemblies.

Willy & Builder: WUT
Except I already have identified that as a consideration before making such a purchase:

Looks like commercial equipment is problematic in homes due to non residential depths and nonstandard widths as well as not being rated for proximity to drywall and wood cabinets.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Your hood size will depend on the size of your range, specifically the BTUH. If you go with a large commercial gas range like that, the hood will be intense to the point where it may require make-up air for combustion. Depending on the hood, that can be handled integral, but will require more mechanical work and that hood can easily cost as much or far exceed the cost of your range.

I've built over a dozen commercial kitchens. You could exceed $40,000 just dealing with the range and its ventilation requirements. Hell, that's commercial looking stuff, nothing fancy. Look at your budget. Now, does that seem realistic or even worthy of contemplation or mention? Probably not.

Buy a nice, normal residential range and range hood and be happy. Hell, if you want to make it even cooler, incorporate ADA switching of the range hood. It won't cost you $50 and will be a cool feature.

Reactions: gcb

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Unlikely I'll go commercial. The mounting depth alone causes too many problems.
Not on my list of priorities to select right this minute. I'm just going to make sure the builder's budget allows for about $2500 for the range itself. Should cover most of the reasonably priced 36" residential varieties.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
Short sale we bid on had that series of range, hood, fridge, etc. Nice units, but at ~$12K retail for the package, I think you can get just as good for less money.
I think retail on all this stuff was over $20k. I'd love to have similar again, but I doubt I could afford it unless it was being financed over 15yrs...

That being said, I've never used the integral grill on the range. I wish it just had eight burners or some uber wok burner in place of the grill. Makes a nice place to set the salt and pepper though. I'd also want a setup with more freezer. A 36" all freezer and a 36" all fridge would be the ideal situation I think. While I Have a chest freezer, I'd like more capacity in the main unit. Warming drawer we've only used a handful of times and could likely do without. Nice to have if you need it I guess.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
I think retail on all this stuff was over $20k. I'd love to have similar again, but I doubt I could afford it unless it was being financed over 15yrs...

That being said, I've never used the integral grill on the range. I wish it just had eight burners or some uber wok burner in place of the grill. Makes a nice place to set the salt and pepper though. I'd also want a setup with more freezer. A 36" all freezer and a 36" all fridge would be the ideal situation I think. While I Have a chest freezer, I'd like more capacity in the main unit. Warming drawer we've only used a handful of times and could likely do without. Nice to have if you need it I guess.
Yeah, we were going to do 2 - 30" columns mounted side by side instead of a single unit.

Very happy with all the Kitchenaid appliances at this place. Just need to find a spot to put a wine cabinet and we'll be all set.