• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Kitchen Remodel Thread v2

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Cabinets you receive in cardboard boxes, unpackage and install. They are of standard sizes and mass produced. Face framed example - Masco Corporation. Frameless example - RSI.
Yes... that is my intention. I can't see spending the money to get custom cabinets put in. Would simply be cost prohibitive and I'd never get that back on resale. RE prices still haven't really rebounded well here. Our tax assessment dropped another $50k this year and two houses on our street have been on the market for over a year now. Only one sold on our street last year.

Thus far we've:
* Gutted and remodeled the master bath
* Painted the entire main and second floor
* Refinished the hardwood
* Replaced the carpet in the bedrooms and formal living room
* Replaced the pool liner, steps, and performed bottom work
* Converted the pool to saltwater
* Replaced 2 of the 3 garage doors and 2 of the 3 garage door openers
* Refinished the deck railing

Before we put it on the market we need to:
* Remodel the kitchen
* Replace the 3rd garage door to make it match the others
* Install a hand rail on front porch
* Replace or refinish/paint the front door
* Install rubber floor in basement "workout room"

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I'm not sure why grigsby claims box cabs are hard to install. We have a cabinet installer who installs 4+ kitchens per day. They always turn out well.

Get plenty of scribe material to ensure they align and are spaced properly. Color matched caulking for wall termination and color matched putty for any potential repairs. You've drawn everything very well which will help you big time during the install.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
In a small kitchen like mine, it's the only way to go. Otherwise you lose way too much space.
get rid of 94% of the bullshit you have on your countertops.... your counters should be work space not storage.... THAT's more ghetto than a counter-top microwave.

In that corner (to the right of the stove) you have a perfect spot for a small 0.7 cu ft unit that will NOT take hardly any usable work space.

Ardvark

Personally I don't see the attraction with wall ovens
get a regular stove and save money and get more counter by eliminating the cabinet with oven and micro

get a regular stove and save money and get more counter by eliminating the cabinet with oven and micro
If my kitchen was huge, a cabinet unit would be nice - purely aesthetic. Since it's not I'll avoid the ghetto WT microwave on the counter setup and leave it above the range. :clapping:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Guessing you don't cook. Either way, higher end house on the golf course = expected.

I'm not sure why grigsby claims box cabs are hard to install. We have a cabinet installer who installs 4+ kitchens per day. They always turn out well.

Get plenty of scribe material to ensure they align and are spaced properly. Color matched caulking for wall termination and color matched putty for any potential repairs. You've drawn everything very well which will help you big time during the install.
In a perfectly square room with perfectly plumb walls I'm sure it would have been a much easier job.

And if I installed 4+ kitchens per day I'm sure over time I would learn all the tricks to overcome an imperfect room situation.

I managed to get good results, but it took a lot of time and effort, here it is almost completed:

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
If you're not going to buy box cabinets and install yourself, you're going to pay A LOT for new cabinets. Check out Homewyse.com and price out your kitchen. If you're buying cabs from a store, you will pay retail.
THis. My cabinets were $11k custom built.

I hung my uppers using a cabinet hanging system from some european manufacturer, and it was ridiculously easy. I set my lowers on adjustable legs from the same manufacturer. Bam bam done.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I hung my uppers using a cabinet hanging system from some european manufacturer, and it was ridiculously easy. I set my lowers on adjustable legs from the same manufacturer. Bam bam done.
Sounds like Ikea

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
The only cabinet I have ever had a problem getting level was the lazy-susan, since it is round and you can't access the back to shim it once it is in place.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Talked to local stone counter people yesterday. They're going to come out Friday to sketch the kitchen, then work on a design to quote me both cabinets and counters, though my main concern is counters. Anyway, they're saying 3 weeks lead time for their cabinets and 1 for counters. If I install my own cabinets, and set an appointment for them to "template" the counters after the cabs are installed, I should still be able to get a 1 week turnaround as long as I get on the schedule ahead of time.

Revised project plan:
2/23 - Order cabinets & appliances
2/23 - Order dumpster for demo
3/13 - Dumpster delivery
3/14-3/15 - Demo
3/16-3/20 - Install backer board, frame island, plumbing for pot filler, electrical cleanup/prep, refrigerator water line replacement
3/19 - Cabinet delivery
3/20-3/22 - Install base cabinets, start on wall cabinets
3/23 - Template for counters (base cabs need to be installed for final measurements)
3/28 - Finish wall cabinets
3/28-4/1 - Install Tile, minor drywall work, and paint
4/1 - Counter install
4/3-4/5 - Install appliances
4/6-4/12 - Finish work

That's a much better sounding plan as we'd only be without the kitchen for about three weeks.