• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Learn me on Photography

Leon - are the Nikon lenses considered quality (18-55; 55-200/300)? Or should I consider a different brand?
Nikon makes a low end kit lens that is probably included with te bundle you are looking at. I think you want to be looking for Nikon Nikkor glass.

Glass is expensive, but to get the most out of your body and get quality photos you have to invest in it.

waz can probably school you better than me on Nikkon lenses, and what quality you want.

Most manufacturers make a good...better....best lens in each focal length. Kit lenses are typically lower tier.

Stay away from DSLRs!! Its a trap!! You'll just always need more stuff. You'll end up lugging all of this shit on vacation...

I say that as I sit hear waiting for FedEx to deliver my new $7000 1DX..lol

Unless you are shooting full out, lesser cards will be fine. The benefit of a bundle is that the manufacturers control the price of their bodies, but they let stores bundle in other goodies. When I bought a Canon body last December, B&H threw in extras (bag, battery, card, etc.). I use the freebie bag with my old body.

Hit up Digital Photography Review Digital Photography Review for lens reviews. It really comes down to how you will use it and convenience. I shoot sports so I opt for fast glass usually. I get by with a 10-22, 28-75 (2.8) and a 70-200 (2.8 IS). I have heavily cropped shots at 200 mm that are amazing so I never feel the need for more reach.

One thing I will say, you are always better off spending a little more than you think you should for glass. The camera itself means very little if your lenses are inferior. Don't be afraid to buy lenses used off craigslist because you'll be better off buying used good glass than new bad glass. I had a co-worker recently spend over $600 on a 75-300F4.5-5.6 IS lens new. For $100 cheaper he could have gotten a 70-200F4L off ebay/CL and been far better off with it's sharpness and the extra stop of exposure. Lenses don't go bad and every lens is used once you open the box. The nice thing about glass is you can always get your money out of it if you buy used or in some cases even if you buy it new if you buy the right stuff. I bought my 100-400F4.5-5.6L IS in 2004 for $1100 I could sell it for $1200 today.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Like Leon said, go with a separate body and then get the glass. The camera doesn't mean a whole lot unless shooting sports or wildlife (fast FPS), etc.....
I haven't bought anything in awhile, but it has worked out best that way for me. I shoot Nikon stuff.
And don't buy your shit from an unknown site. Use B&H, Adorama or a local place.

I've been rocking a D5100 with three lenses for a while: the crap kit 18-55mm it came with, a 55-200mm DX crap zoom and a 40mm f/2.8 DX macro. I'm getting ready to start collecting for my future full-frame purchase. On the wish list are:

*50mm f/1.8 (had one and sold it, dumb)
*85mm f/1.8
*16-35mm f/4
*70-200mm f/4

I'm concerned about the gap in my zoom, but I think I can get by with these 4.

Like Leon said, go with a separate body and then get the glass. The camera doesn't mean a whole lot unless shooting sports or wildlife (fast FPS), etc.....
I haven't bought anything in awhile, but it has worked out best that way for me. I shoot Nikon stuff.
And don't buy your shit from an unknown site. Use B&H, Adorama or a local place.
Pretty much a repeat of what I said. See a trend here?

I've been rocking a D5100 with three lenses for a while: the crap kit 18-55mm it came with, a 55-200mm DX crap zoom and a 40mm f/2.8 DX macro. I'm getting ready to start collecting for my future full-frame purchase. On the wish list are:

*50mm f/1.8 (had one and sold it, dumb)
*85mm f/1.8
*16-35mm f/4
*70-200mm f/4

I'm concerned about the gap in my zoom, but I think I can get by with these 4.
Fit a 24 to 70 in there.

Fit a 24 to 70 in there.
I'm thinking I could actually probably live without the 16-35, and would be happier with the 24-70, since I'm shooting roughly that equivalent with the 18-55 on a crop sensor camera now.

ETA: Looks like they don't make an f/4 version of that, only the f/2.8. Might be too spendy to start off. It's not like I do this for a living. The 24-85 f/2.8-4 might be more reasonable.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I could actually probably live without the 16-35, and would be happier with the 24-70, since I'm shooting roughly that equivalent with the 18-55 on a crop sensor camera now.

ETA: Looks like they don't make an f/4 version of that, only the f/2.8. Might be too spendy to start off. It's not like I do this for a living. The 24-85 f/2.8-4 might be more reasonable.
I could get on board with then24-85 f/2.8. I have a Canon L 24 to 70 f/2.8 that I adore. It's a great lens. It was a lot of $$$ though.

You can actually have good luck elsewhere if you are careful. I've bought most of my bodies off of ebay. I just ordered a 1DX from getitdigital on ebay. $5079 vs $6799 from B&H or Adorama. Same sort of deal when I bought my 5D Mark III. Just make sure that who you are buying from has a lot of positive feedback...like 25K or more...

I'm in the process of selling a lot of my lenses and updating them. Selling my 24-70F2.8L to get the 24-70F2.8L II, my 17-40F4L to get the 16-35F2.8L II, my 70-200F2.8L IS for the II version as well. I was waiting for Canon to announce the 100-400 II but so far they haven't...ugh! The problem is that canon pretty much doubled the price of all of their II generation lenses over the original.

I could get on board with then24-85 f/2.8. I have a Canon L 24 to 70 f/2.8 that I adore. It's a great lens. It was a lot of $$$ though.
Yeah, my boss from my old job has spent lots on Canon L gear. I just emailed him and asked him to school me on the 2 prime and 2 zoom he can't live without...

Yeah, my boss from my old job has spent lots on Canon L gear. I just emailed him and asked him to school me on the 2 prime and 2 zoom he can't live without...
50 mm prime. Get the usm.
85 mm prime. Get the usm.
24 to 70. 2.8. L if can swing. I'd look at a non canon brand if it would save $
70 to 300.