• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Lego [Creator] Sonic Boom (5892) Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available on Amazon, eBay.
Price: Varies but likely over $100
Lego #: 5892
Pieces: 539
Rating:
:5stars: (Though wish it included a mini-figure)

Sonic Boom is an awesome afternoon build. It is as close as Lego will get to a fighter jet. Instead of heaving weapons on it however they gave us light up engines. The two "light bricks" come with small batteries pre-installed. Just pull the tabs off to activate. If you ever need to change the batteries you will need a small Philip's screw driver.

01-IMG_1606.JPG

Unfortunately this is a retired set now you likely won't be able to find it for its original price of about $60 here in the USA. Current prices on Amazon or eBay are about double that for new-in-box models but used sets aren't nearly as high.

I only recently put mine together and I am glad I purchased it, even if I had to pay above the original retail price. This is a good sized jet. Being the "Creator" series no mini-figures were included despite the fact its cockpit actually fits two mini figures, including helmets. I had to find two volunteers from my collection, it was not hard.

02-IMG_1617.jpg

Like all creator sets there are full instructions for 3 possible projects- the fighter plane being the most advanced build. The other options you can see on the box are a boat and propeller plane.

All 3 of the designs will make use of two "light bricks" which basically shine red when pressed. Part of the design of the fighter is an internal system to press the light buttons by pushing the black tab you build behind the cockpit.

03-IMG_1600.jpg

The back of the cockpit will flip open but the front needs to be popped off for access to the front seat. The plane is solidly built, there is very little to fall off. The small front wings and tail wings pivot but you most likely want to keep them straight. The main wings are assembled separately and pop on once they are complete. The plane has a serious landing gear system which folds back into the plane, not the cheap wheels you just stick on.

04-IMG_1608.jpg 05-IMG_1613.jpg

Aside from my wish of mini-figure pilots there is little more I could ask for in a similar set, especially at the original price point- you don't get much better than this.

06-IMG_1596.jpg 07-IMG_1602.JPG