• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Lego [Creator] Thunder Wings (31008) Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available on Amazon, eBay.
Price: Less than $20
Lego #: 31008
Pieces: 235
Rating:
:4.5stars: (Great value but could have included landing gear/wheels.)

Officially Lego doesn't make Fighter Planes because it doesn't make military themed sets at all. War does not fit with the Lego image. But it seems in the Lego Creator series they are willing to push the line as this is another set (along with Sonic Boom #5892 and Fast Flyers #5953) that certainly looks like a fighter jet even if it doesn't have visible weapons. Like Sonic Boom this is an excellent overall set- however for less than 1/3rd the original price of Sonic Boom you get a plane about 1/3rd the size as well.

Like with much of the Creator series there is no place to fit a mini-figure even if you have your own- this plane doesn't have a real cockpit- just a couple of bricks to give the shape of one. Also like other Creator sets you have 3 building choices available- besides the plane there is a car and robot.

My main reason for knocking this review down half a star was the fact the plane lacks any kind of landing gear. I was a bit annoyed especially when I threw on the cheap landing gear from an even cheaper Creator set (Red Rotors #31003) and it immediately "completed" the plane in my opinion. These landing gear are so tiny and simple, I'm sure it cost Lego less than 25 cents even to make all 3 sets that would be necessary.

You'll see these small landing gear in my pictures- be aware they do not come with this set.

01-IMG_1054.JPG

Aside from that this is a fun build - will keep someone busy an hour or so, maybe 2 if you stretch it out. Plane is solid once built so it's fun and safe to play with. It's a fair amount of Lego for the price and a great way to build up your collection. There are few sets for less than $20 today that can make that claim.

02-IMG_1049.JPG 03-IMG_1053.jpg

Despite how it looks the wings are in a fixed position- no sweeping back with this set. The mini-antenna on the front tip was also something I added- I have a habit of trying to use as many as the left over pieces as possible, also explains he 4 squares right behind the wing on the top of the plane, that is not standard either.