• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Lego GhostBusters Ecto 1 Review (30th Anniversary Set)

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available at Target.com, Amazon, eBay
Price: $49.99
Lego #: 21108
Pieces: 508
Rating:
:5stars: (Great set, lots of detail, OK price.)

This is an instant classic 5 star set. The detail, building techniques, and the 4 unique mini-figures, each complete with their initials, custom faces and hair styles, and even a display stand is everything that the more disappointing Back to the Future (21103) set should have been.

DSC00485.jpg

This set retails for $49.99 and be warned it is one of the few times Amazon is a bad deal. I found the set for $49.99 on target.com (linked above) while Amazon sellers wanted $70 or more for Prime shipments. Ebay, as always, is hit or miss.

I strongly suggest buying one if you're a Lego fan... if you want to invest a little money buying a 2nd set to keep in the box will probably net you a nice return whenever they decide to retire this set.

This was a fun build. "Studs Not On Top" (SNOT) designs are almost always more interesting than traditional builds and this is no exception. I really liked what they did for the side windows of the car.

DSC00569.jpg DSC00570.jpg

You get a serious book for the instructions, not merely a booklet. There is some history on the movie- for those who may not have been born before it was made. Also some info on the original designer as this was a fan submitted project from the Lego Ideas website.

Original Fan Submitted Design:

Another designer has submitted plans for a very detailed Ghostbuster's Headquarters made to nicely fit the Ecto 1 inside. It already reached 10,000 supporters and is just waiting on Lego to hopefully approve it.

Besides the serious instructions book the entire box has a solid feel and opens nicely- you could even use it to hold the Lego pieces if you wanted to.

DSC00455.jpg

Anyway, back to this set. There was so much translucent blue- the lights on top, and elsewhere. I love when I look into a parts bag and see so much translucent blue. Also another big plus- No stickers! Not a single sticker is used- the pieces with the Ghostbuster symbol are all pre-printed. Each minifigure is also printed with their own initials. Each head has two faces, the happy faces you saw above and these scared "Gozer" faces below.

DSC00642.jpg

The only ways I could improve this set would be to make it one of those modular builds where you only go through one bag at a time during construction. However this set is still small enough that it isn't a big detriment to not have sequential bags.

DSC00632.jpg DSC00631.jpg DSC00628.jpg DSC00633.jpg

Bottom line - Buy this set, and if you have the money, buy two!

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
remaking a PC version of a movie that should never be remade is a recipe for disaster. :naw: