• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Lego - Grand Emporium (10211) Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available on Amazon, eBay, Lego.com
MSRP: 149.99
Lego #: 10211
Pieces: 2182
Rating: :4.5stars:

The Grand Emporium is the oldest of the LEGO Creator series "Modular" buildings still available. The others being the Pet Shop, Town Hall, Parisian Restaurant, and Palace Cinema. The Grand Emporium is probably the least interesting of the bunch, but that is in no way an insult to this set.

The modulars are big, and this is no exception, taking up a full 32-by-32 base plate. It is designed to be a corner piece while most of the others are designed to fit between others.

Luckily the 2100+ plus pieces are separated int 3 groups of bags inside the box- only one group should be open at one time. Each bag corresponds to a floor of the structure. The first bags also contain the tile for the road and outdoor stuff, while the 3rd has the roof and elements on top. This makes the 2nd bags the smallest and quickest part of the build.

Like with all modulars each level can be easily lifted off to allow access to each level.

There are some steps with a lot of repetition- it can't be helped considering the details on the buildings. The main reason this lost half a star however was the way the pieces were distributed among the bags- something I worry may be true with all the modulars.

On the vast majority of LEGO sets I've built all of one specific piece, say 2x6 short black tiles, are in one bag. In this set the pieces are all over. One bag may have 5 of one piece, another bag has 1 more of that same piece, and so on. I don't understand why they do this- surely if they can put 5 of one piece in one bag they can fit all 7 or 8 of that piece in the same bag.

Attachments