• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

LEGO Ideas - Birds - 21301 Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available at: Lego.com, Amazon, eBay
Price: $49.99
Pieces: 580
Rating: :4.5stars: (Just wish the wings flapped/moved. Bird stands are free to rotate, loose.)

This set is from LEGO Ideas which means a fan entered it to LEGO Ideas website, it received 10,000 votes, was officially reviewed by LEGO and they decided to make it a set. For whatever their reasons LEGO just doesn't make a lot of these sets, virtually all previous LEGO Ideas sets are sold out including the Research Institute and Mars Curiosity Rover. Therefore if you want one you should buy it as soon as possible.

The set has three birds, a Robin, and Blue Jay, and a Humming Bird (with wild flower.) Each bird is in their own set of bags, so the box contains bags labeled 1, 2, and 3. (More than one of each.) The tile with the species is pre-printed. There are no stickers in this set. :up:

Each bird also comes with its own, bound, instruction book. Each book contains the same short bio of the original designer as well as a page talking about the specific species of birds- each in multiple languages in every book. The end of the book has the LEGO advertisements you would expect.

Overall the LEGO Ideas box is nicer than the typical LEGO box, more like an Architecture series box than say a LEGO City box. You certainly get the feeling they could have saved a good bit of money by going with a cheaper box and cheaper instructions.

As for the actual builds, they are fairly straightforward - the biggest surprise was the size of each bird- they are bigger than Imagined them. For a perspective on size I included a mini-figure in this picture. (Cookie if you know which mini-figure that is.) The mini-figure is NOT included in this set.

The colors are great- especially the different shades of blue and green used on the Blue Jay and Hummingbird respectively. Each is on its own stand on its own small plate so they can be easily displayed on a bookshelf or wherever you intend to show them off. None of them have any playability, no moving parts- at least not intentionally. (You can pose the hummingbird a little.)

My main issue with this set, and it is a small issue, is that the stands each bird is attached to isn't held firmly in the holes they are placed. Only gravity keeps it from falling out and with any vibration (the kind you get when your house is next to a rail road for example) the birds spin around- maybe that is actually a plus? I'd have preferred they always show the side I wanted to see.

That issue aside these really are beautiful sets that would look right at home on a desk, a bookcase, or anywhere else an adult might want to show them off. They probably would not hold he interest of children long.