• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Lego Technic 42020 - Rescue Helicopter Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available on Amazon, eBay
Price: $12.99
Lego #: 42020
Pieces: 144
Rating: :3.5stars:
(Kind of boring...)

This was my very first technic set- at least the first one I can remember. I may have done one or two as a kid but I don't remember them- I was never a fan of the Technic series. I purchased this one because at an MSRP of just $12.99 it is one of the cheapest sets you will find.

I have to say, despite being only 144 pieces it took me well over an hour to finish. While that time includes stopping to take a picture for each step for the above video it still generally did not feel like a fast build.

DSC00428.jpg

One of the problems I have was simply developing a vernacular to call/remember the pieces when I go look for them. For example on regular Lego i see a piece and I know in my brain it's called like 2x6 thin or 2x4 thick, 1x1 cylinder or 1x1 cone... But technic pieces have always just been "technic piece." :b-embarrassment: Obviously that doesn't work if all the pieces are technic pieces. :banghead:

I had a hard time rating this- to be honest- it doesn't do anything for me. It was a nice way to spend some time but I'm not sure I will waste space putting this on display. However for the low price, I didn't expect much either. I settled on giving this 3 and half stars, I could not justify giving it any more or any less.

This set offers two possible builds- both helicopters... the main build which I did and the second option is a more traditional helicopter with one main rotor and the smaller one on the side in the back. There are books for both.

42020-back-box.jpg

I may have oversold this set to myself. I know a number of adult Lego fans swear by the Technic line. They often wonder why they didn't start with Technic sooner. I was hoping I would build this set and think Technic was the greatest thing ever and I'd be hooked- and that just didn't happen. I have a couple slightly larger technic sets waiting to be built, as well as the $100+ remote control rock crawler for a rainy day- time will tell if I get bit by the Technic bug or if it will just remain an itch.