• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

LEGO - Technic - 9398 Remote Controlled Rock Crawler- Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available on Amazon, Toys R Us
Price: MSRP $199 but can be found for $160
Lego #: 9398
Pieces: 1327
Rating: :4.5stars: Great set but could use bigger wheels, only indoor use

This is a great set and even better if you can find it for the $160 rather than the $199 it is supposed to be. Some Amazon sellers and Toys R Us seem to have it at the lower price.

So, other people have done the step by step build of this set in far more detail than I care to, so here is someone else's much better step by step build:

The power functions make this a very fun set. The IR transmitter however means you really can't use this set outdoors- the sun would outshine the small IR signal from the remote control.

It's noticeable this set could easily fit larger wheels. I think it looks a bit off with the wheels included.

DSC00797.jpg

The truck has surprising power for running off 6AA batteries and the build was fun, especially for me who is still relatively new to Technic sets. The instructions were easy to follow. Speaking of instructions there are three booklets to complete this set. The alternate 4x4 truck build requires you to download the instructions from Lego's Technic website.

It was nice to have the pieces divided into two phases. There are several bags marked "1" and others marked "2." You still have like 5 or 6 bags open at once, but it is better than 12 open at once- it makes the build manageable and fun but still feels like Lego.

All in all you need 6AA and 3AAA batteries to get this up and running.

The doors open but that is about it, not much else on this set besides the default power functions which include 4wd and 4 wheel steering. It is a set the begs for upgrades such as LED lighting and more powerful electric motors.

Attachments