• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Modular

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I like the concept of factory built in a controlled environment. I also like the idea that they're overbuilt because they have to stand up to shipping and being hoisted onto the foundation.

I'd have to see a local example being put together to feel comfortable with the product and assembly crew.

Jerk!

like Einstein but dumber
VIP
Modular /= manufactured, but maintains the bad stigma of manufactured. Modular is growing and is projected to be the future of multi family, assisted living and hotel construction. SFH will remain a mixed bag, but hybrids are growing in interest.
just kicked off a project this week with a german company looing to expand their manufactured housing business in the US. insteresting factory they're building. they're market is to give the semi-custom homes the efficiency of lower end stick built houses.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
SIPs are shit. Are you joking? I've bought SIPs. Run.

Modular construction quality varies drastically by company.

Many modular construction firms don't have licensed skilled trades performing the MEP work. If you're seriously considering modular, I highly recommend you speak with plants who use NTA as their third party inspection agency. NTA is far superior than the others.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
SIPs are shit. Are you joking? I've bought SIPs. Run.

Modular construction quality varies drastically by company.

Many modular construction firms don't have licensed skilled trades performing the MEP work. If you're seriously considering modular, I highly recommend you speak with plants who use NTA as their third party inspection agency. NTA is far superior than the others.
The two builders I spoke with about SIPs had gone through several manufacturers before they found ones they could count on for quality; Fischer and Thermocore. Everyone else had problems with voids, gaps, flame spread rating, and a multitude of other issues. But these two were being used regularly for their timber frame projects and they weren't having any warranty issues.

Modular is essentially the same as stick built. Some good, some bad, just like contractors in general. They can look like a manufactured home or be a multi-million dollar mansion. They should be treated just like a stick built home as far as mortgage, appreciation, etc. goes. Places that don't allow manufactured homes generally (always?) allow modular homes. Modular homes go through the same permits and inspections and conform to the same local regulations as a regular house. A modular home is essentially a regular old stick-built house except it's built in sections off-site then assembled and finished onsite.

This is all based on my research, not first hand experience. I was seriously considering this route so I did a lot of reading on the subject. I am NOT an expert. If I ever buy land and have a house built, I will almost certainly go with a modular home.

Stu Cozza

is Good for America
The term "modular" is a broad term that has changed over the years. Some would call a house that has partially assembled walls delivered to the site and assembled there a modular. My place was done that way, but, for all intents and purposes, might as well have been "stick built. The original owner and his wife wanted a new house on some land next to their current place back then. They contacted the company (Barden Homes) and were all set to sign on the line, when the :wifey: (a local school marm) decided she wanted the layout to be a mirror image of the initial plans, so they accommodated her. Once the house was finished, the refrigerator she ordered arrived and it was too large for the opening. They fixed that so she could keep her chosen refrigerator (ask any appliance dealer why most appliances are returned, and they will tell you it is because of improper fit). By then, all was good and They lived there for ~12 years. Another family bought the place and I bought it from them. Absolutely no problems with the house, which is now almost thirty years old, other than a poorly laid out flush drain for the water softener (fixed in less than an hour).

Whether you choose a "stick-built" or some form of pre-assembled house, what counts is who does the building, wiring, plumbing, and HVAC. If the person/company is reputable and skilled, all should be good for many years.