• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Over range microwaves

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
Our current counter top microwave shit the bed a few days ago. We don't use it for much, but it does take up a lot of counter space.

Above our range, we only have an exhaust fan. It does not vent outside since that part of the kitchen isn't an outside facing wall.

How difficult is it to install a above range microwave if there has never been one there before? Also, does the fan have to vent externally?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I don't know the difficulty because I paid for it to be done but I do know the microwave came with an option to vent externally or internally so that shouldn't be a problem.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Our current counter top microwave shit the bed a few days ago. We don't use it for much, but it does take up a lot of counter space.

Above our range, we only have an exhaust fan. It does not vent outside since that part of the kitchen isn't an outside facing wall.

How difficult is it to install a above range microwave if there has never been one there before? Also, does the fan have to vent externally?
It's not hard at all. You don't have to vent outside. You can get a charcoal filter style recirculating OTR micro hood. Ventless. You'll need to ensure an OTR will fit, then buy whatever brand you like that's ventless. They're an easy install provided you already have power there. Typically they're on a dedicated circuit.

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
It's not hard at all. You don't have to vent outside. You can get a charcoal filter style recirculating OTR micro hood. Ventless. You'll need to ensure an OTR will fit, then buy whatever brand you like that's ventless. They're an easy install provided you already have power there. Typically they're on a dedicated circuit.
Thanks. We have a fan over the range now. I will have to check if it's on it's own circuit.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Yeah, not too bad to install. Just a pain in the ass to hang. I'd move the stove out of I were to do it again to save my back. Leaning at an awkward angle and lifting a heavy mic sucks.

RandyMolson

Close friend of Keyton
VIP
Does your hood fan connect to duct work? If so, the duct probably goes up into the attic and over to a soffit for release. That's usually how they vent interior kitchen hoods.

My UT house was build in '05, stove on an exterior wall, overhead microwave and it still just vented through a filter and back into the kitchen. Lazy cheap home builder I suppose, but it was fine.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
It's quite easy to install one of these microwaves. The only thing you might have to do is create an outlet for the power. You know you already have power up there, but the microwave comes with a plug - not direct wire. Just buy a junction box, outlet and outlet cover - it can even just sit in the upper cabinet. You'll have to drill a few holes in the upper cabinet to make it right, but they come with templates to help. If you're handy and have a helper for the lifting part, it should take you less than an hour.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
It'll take up more space than most vent fans, so make sure you'll still have plenty of clearance over the burners. Personally I hate them and was :rockz: when I finally got a kitchen without that sucker hovering over the cooktop.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Hardest part is just using the shitty template to drill holes. I prefer to just measure, having done it several times. An outlet in the top cabinet will be needed.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I also agree that they suck. I personally wouldn't put one in if I were designing a kitchen for a house I planned to stay in. I don't like having to duck under it to see in a pot or something.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I also agree that they suck. I personally wouldn't put one in if I were designing a kitchen for a house I planned to stay in. I don't like having to duck under it to see in a pot or something.
Done wrong you have to duck. Done right there is no ducking.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Everybody acts like they are Yao Ming up in this bitch having to bend down to look under the mic to see a damn pot on the stove. :rotflmao: