• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Pellet Stove Died

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I hate this piece of shit pellet stove. It's a Whitfield Profile 20. I've tinkered with this turd for a few years since the first issue. Now it's done - circuit board, photo eye and/or temp switches. As much as I want to slam a wood stove unit in its place, we are stuck here for another year and getting the hell out. I don't think it's worth all of the additional effort to convert to a wood stove. We went pellet stove shopping yesterday. Looks like $2,000 retail will get us a decent one. HVAC buddy is getting me a cost for one tomorrow. Hopefully more towards $1,500. Going with a Heatilator CAB50.

Nothing like installing a brand new heating device that runs on electricity in an all electric area, that is known for losing power. ****ing pellet stoves. :banghead:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
That sucks. I've spent more for less important shit, though - just part of being a grown-up. Lots of dumb shit biting at your wallet.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Talked to my neighbor about how he kept his pellet stove going without running a generator all night. He runs the generator when they are home/awake and hitch the pellet stove up to a inverter running off a deep cycle battery the rest of the time. Think I will try it next time we have a power outage.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Talked to my neighbor about how he kept his pellet stove going without running a generator all night. He runs the generator when they are home/awake and hitch the pellet stove up to a inverter running off a deep cycle battery the rest of the time. Think I will try it next time we have a power outage.
Going to try that with my boiler, too.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I've heard of pellet stoves but never realized they needed electricity or circuit boards. I assumed they were just similar to wood stoves.

Ardvark

Is it your only heat source? If not scrap it
You can run alot of electric baseboard for 1500

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Because installing wiring for 240v everywhere in a house is sofawkincheap :wtf:
I dont' think he's suggesting adding electric heat, especially if there's an existing heat source in the house.

I'd seriously consider not replacing the stove and just use the home's prior system if available and functioning.

When it comes to electricity requirements, a coal stoker needs electricity too in order to feed the coal in.

I've heard of pellet stoves but never realized they needed electricity or circuit boards. I assumed they were just similar to wood stoves.
Fans and feeder, but I didn't realize they had things like circuit boards or photo eyes or temp sensors. I always assumed you could treat them like a wood stove, manually dump pellets in and not have a fan if the electric went out.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Good lord. I knew you people lived up north, but I didn't know it was still the 1800s up there. Pellet stoves and coal stokers? Damn.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Is it your only heat source? If not scrap it
You can run alot of electric baseboard for 1500
Running the pellet stove is $200/mo. Having it off in the winter would jump my electric bill by $300/mo+. Moving in a year and showing a higher electric bill per month average = FAIL. Keeping it as low as possible for average per month = WIN.

slideways

Pellet stoves do have a fair amount of electronics which suck for something that is destined to get residual soot and dust all over it despite regular vacuuming etc. There's a temperature control, fan blower speed, auger feed rate and an induction/convection fan to worry about in there so yea that crap is always involved. Logs burn free style and the blower is just added on the outside of the fire box to blow heat off... in a pellet stove the fire is alot smaller and has to be intensified by a fan sucking it to strengthen it to get it burning hot. My parents have had one since 2002... still on the same one but not without headaches... been through a few auger motors, circuit boards etc.. Im stuck with oil now and want a pellet as soon as i can afford one. I can get twice as long out of a $250 ton of pellets than i would out of a $350 tank of oil.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
That's why you fawkers couldn't ever win a war against the north. You would be crying that you got cold and would just go home. :jump:
Fine with me - I wouldn't be coming up there anyway, war or not :clapping:

I've been to PA twice and Toronto once, and **** THAT. You can keep it.

Ardvark

I would rip it out as soon as I bought the house.
Gas or electric. I'm not doing any work to heat my house