• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

PETE ROSE FOR THE HALL OF FAME!

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
even betting for your team compromises them. places more value on one game (say after a losing streak) than otherwise necessary.

Say Pete loses 3 in a row, & doubles down each time. Is that fourth game worth 1/162 of a season, or way more?

He was a notoriously bad handler of a bullpen, per Whitey Herzog, & one could say betting had something to do w/ it. After he left, immediately Cinci had one of the most famous 'pens of all time & they swept an awesome Oakland squad in the Series.
Not really a baseball guy but where's the foul in betting for your team?

Cornholio01

Not really a baseball guy but where's the foul in betting for your team?
because it encourages selling out for one game, when the goal is to perform over 162 games.

note what I said about the example of Pete losing say three in a row. he's prob doubling down each game. So the fourth game becomes a hell of a lot more valuable than it should, which is 1/162.

Cornholio01

couple more points:

1) say he DOESN'T bet a particular game. doesn't that give inside info to a bookie?

2) say he has a run so rotten, he's in hock so bad the bookies say he must throw a game to pay for it, lest he meet some awful circumstance like get a real haircut, or wear lousy shoes?

either way, the game is compromised.

Cornholio01

I get what you're saying.
most non-sheep do.

most folks here know Josh*. he did a complete 180 on the subject when he & i debated it. & that guy knows his beisbol.

I'll say this: you tell me beginning of the season, Pete's gonna bet a grand, every game, never more or less. No parlays. No double downs. I could probably endorse that. It might be ok. I'd have to think about it more than I care to.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
**** the manager shit, the guy was a damn good player and a hitting machine. He could out hack a pitchers arm to **** with him. I'd rather a team full of solid hitters like Rose than some dickhead always fanning for home runs

Last edited:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Dude got cut and couldn't play his junior and senior years :rotflmao:
Pete Rose, the guy was beast mode at the plate and a damn good player. He was a moron for betting on his team and was abolished from baseball. I say what he did pales in comparison to the PED users. They should let him in.

Did he bet against his team? I thought I read he bet against his team too.

Last edited:

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP
He fawked his legacy by betting on games he managed... you don't reward people for bad behavior. His punishment was banishment from baseball and that should include the hall of fame.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
He fawked his legacy by betting on games he managed... you don't reward people for bad behavior. His punishment was banishment from baseball and that should include the hall of fame.
His punishment has been infinitely harsher than anything these steroid users of today have gotten, and that's plain horseshit