• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Propane Heater

Toney Marconi

Fat, drunk, and stupid
VIP
Anybody have one of these forced air propane heaters?

This one "fell off a truck" right as my neighbor was standing there. It needs a regulator and hose. I'm just wondering how much propane they use before I buy a hose and regulator.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
You will likely need a big tank due to the BTU rating.... Not so much for long run time, but for the boiling rate of the propane in the bottle vs output.

I looked at the larger (100-125k) version and the manufacturer recommended a 100 lb tank minimum. And then I was like, "no fücking way this scrawny-azz dude is toting a tank that size to get refilled...."

So I bought the kerosine version. Use it in my shop. Works great.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
No. Get a kerosene / diesel bullet/salamander heater instead.
That's what I use. I run offroad diesel in it rather than kerosene. Means I keep only one of them on hand rather than kero that I'll use nowhere else. No diesel smell that I've noticed either which is a plus.

Don't use it if your space is tightly sealed as you won't be feeling well for long.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
That's what I use. I run offroad diesel in it rather than kerosene. Means I keep only one of them on hand rather than kero that I'll use nowhere else. No diesel smell that I've noticed either which is a plus.

Don't use it if your space is tightly sealed as you won't be feeling well for long.
I wouldn't recommend using any combustion heater like that in tightly sealed spaces.

Toney Marconi

Fat, drunk, and stupid
VIP
I plan on using it in the garage. There's probably enough fresh air coming through the dog door to be safe. If not I can always raise the garage door about a foot or so.

John

Transplant
VIP
My father has one with two eyes that sits ontop of a propane bottle. It works surprisingly well to heat his detached 1000+ sq ft garage.

John

Transplant
VIP
I'm not 100% sure, but it always lasted all afternoon for me when I would detail cars in there in the wintertime. I feel like it must have been pretty efficient. I never started with a full tank.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Standard grill tank provides about 440,000 btu. That's 35,000 btu/hr so math it. I have one like John mentioned and it's rated at 18k, 26k, and 30k and I rarely turn it above low. I frequently only light one of the burners, actually.

slideways

I've had both and we prefer the Kero forced ones better. The propane doesnt have a "thermostat" so it wont shut off and relight when needed. Its either fire shooting at a variable amount or off and you must relight. Plus the kero is just one unit to pick up or wheel around depending on size. No tank and hose dragging all over. We have a 65k that heats our 24x24 easily no matter the temperature outside. The 210k is a bit overkill as it runs and stops alot since it heats the place so quickly.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I've had both and we prefer the Kero forced ones better. The propane doesnt have a "thermostat" so it wont shut off and relight when needed. Its either fire shooting at a variable amount or off and you must relight. Plus the kero is just one unit to pick up or wheel around depending on size. No tank and hose dragging all over. We have a 65k that heats our 24x24 easily no matter the temperature outside. The 210k is a bit overkill as it runs and stops alot since it heats the place so quickly.
I had a kerosene first but the fumes/smell became unbearable to me. Dad said it doesn't bother him, but it ****ing kills me.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I have one I used the same tank all winter long when I was doing addition
Mine on low with one head gets about 50 hours. That time stretches because you have to turn it off every now and then because it gets too hot so the effective usage is pretty damn long. Plus I can swap grill tanks .6 miles away for $20 -- kero is probably much more common up there, but down here it's at two places in town and you have to hand crank it into your can, leaving you with stinky hands and a can of juice to deal with.

John

Transplant
VIP
Yeah, that's a good point, I don't even know where I would go to buy kerosene. I would have to look it up.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Yeah, that's a good point, I don't even know where I would go to buy kerosene. I would have to look it up.
Buy diesel, that's what I run mine on.

Having said that, I want to switch to propane when I get the shop insulated. Probably something a bit more permanent than a forced air heater.