• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Sluban Cruiser (M38-B0389) Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Available on Amazon, eBay.
Price: ~ $70 - $80
Sluban #: M38-B0389
Pieces: 883
Rating: :4stars:
(Small issues with brick quality, some stickers too small to apply.)

This is an impressively large ship. It kept me busy for better than 12 hours split up over two days. It would have gone quicker but there were several times I had to undo a couple pieces in order to get the next step to fit correctly- the pieces are generally pretty good but they aren't quite Lego quality. You will get issues you don't get in Lego sets. However these aren't end of the world issues- I didn't have to resort to my rubber mallet but I considered it several times.

I didn't have room to make a professional setup but I did take a picture after each step (along with the pieces for the following step) and make them into a video for those interested-

While not the largest ship Sluban makes (that honor belong to their Aircraft Carrier) this is clearly one of their flagship (no pun intended) models. They even include their version of the Lego brick separator tool. Theirs is green and printed like a dragon.

01-sluban-cruiser-box.jpg

Besides the ship the set includes a tiny helicopter (there is a landing pad on the ship for it) but also two fighter jets which I do not understand as clearly a Cruiser does not hold fighter jets.

02-IMG_1734-crop.jpg

The decals you see all had to be added by hand. The smallest ones (the single red stars) were maybe only 5 or 6 mm across- much to small to apply with your fingers. I lost two of them before I switched to a tweezer which made it easier but still difficult. I don't think it is practical to expect the customer to be able to apply the stickers as suggested.

03-IMG_1745.jpg

Other than the issues with studs lining up correctly and the stickers there wasn't much wrong with this set. I bought it for $75 shipped from Amazon but a keen eye on eBay you may find it even cheaper. Although Lego doesn't make warships you would be hard pressed to find a comparable Lego ship for this price.

What I really love about this set however is that there were really no large custom pieces. The main mast was pre-molded to a point, but there hull, deck, and everything else is built from your basic bricks. You can take this apart and really have almost no idea it was a ship.

Even the stand (which is strong and secure) is built from your standard bricks.

The completed length is over 2 feet (about 26 inches in fact.)

04-IMG_1726.jpg 05-IMG_1738.jpg

The bottom line is if you are a fan of warships or just want a good full-day project this set should be seriously considered. I only wish it was based off a US Navy warship and not a Chinese one- but if it becomes popular I'm sure people will take notice an more sets will follow.

Sluban actually has 4 Navy ships, from largest to smallest- The Aircraft Carrier I mentioned earlier, this Cruiser, a smaller Destroyer, and a submarine.

Be very careful if shopping for this Cruiser- I found many sellers mislabeling the Destroyer as the Cruiser. The Destroyer is smaller (615 pieces as opposed to 883) and cheaper. It says Destroyer on the box. At first glance they look the same.

06-$_57.JPG